Former Homeland Security Director Joins Sony

September 6, 2011 -

Sony has hired a heavyweight in its ongoing fight to protect its online game services from hackers. The company has hired Philip Reitinger, former director of the U.S. National Cyber Security Center, as its new chief information security officer.

Reitinger's key duties will be "assuring the security of Sony's information assets and services." He'll have his work cut out for him, no doubt. He will be in charge of providing information security protocols across the entire company and implementing new ways to keep all of Sony’s precious data safe. Reitinger will report directly to Sony’s executive vice president and general counsel, Nicole Seligman.

While nothing can provide a 100 percent certainty of safety, Sony is moving in the right direction. It's a shame that it took millions of people's user data to be stolen in order to get the company to think about securing its networks and systems...

Source: Industry Gamers

Comments

Re: Former Homeland Security Director Joins Sony

A top G-Man from HS? Wanna bet we will see some new draconian end-user policies from Sony that won't actually improve safety for end users?

Re: Former Homeland Security Director Joins Sony

wait, was he one of the guys that resigned 'in shame' from the DHS?

Re: Former Homeland Security Director Joins Sony

I'm not convinced. Nor impressed.

Re: Former Homeland Security Director Joins Sony

Indeed. Whether or not Sony is doing better will be seen in the future and while hiring more security or spending more on defense shows a will to improve, it is no way a guaranty of such, in fact, a false sense of security can be worse. So I wish them the best and prepare for the worse.

Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm