GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

September 6, 2011 -

Have a crappy iPhone lying about? Well apparently you can resell it to GameStop. The world’s largest video game retailer will start buying Apple's iOS devices from customers, according to a report from 9to5Macs. According to a screen grab from the site, GameStop is saying that it buys iOS devices for store credit:

"Did you know that GameStop now buys your old iPod, iPhone and iPad devices? Trade them in at GameStop for in-store credit. Perfect for trading toward games, accessories, systems and more. Bring in your old iPod or iPad and a Game Advisor can assist you. Plus, you'll score PowerUp Rewards points on every item traded."

GameStop quietly unveiled the new trade-in program last week at a trade show in Las Vegas. While some local stores have confirmed that they do indeed accept iOS devices as trade-ins, some stores are not currently "in the program," probably meaning that GameStop is dipping its toes into the waters.

What we do not know is what devices they'll ultimately accept and what the company plans to do with them when they have bought them. Will they resell them to another company or directly to consumers? Stay tuned.

Source: Time's Techland

Posted in

Comments

Re: GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

In other news there has been a mysterious spike in smartphone theft.

Re: GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

I worked for EB Games when they first started taking cash for trades, and for the first few weeks the store manager and I answered the phone "Thank you for calling EB Pawn, how can I help you?".

It's amazing how many people thought that we couldn't tell what was stolen.

Re: GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

They'll resell them to customers, of course. Buying an iPad for $20 and reselling it for $100, all the while putting a 30-day guarantee on it? There's gold in them thar iHills.

Re: GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

I wouldn't doubt it look on Ebay how much IPhones are selling for. Apple might as well unlock all carrier phones at this point. I would love to buy a new IPhone 4 to hold me over till five.

No way I am going to pay full price on a defective phone I'll stick to my 3GS

Re: GameStop Buying Used iOS Devices

Think they do any reselling?

- W

Consumer responsibility is just as important as Corporate responsibility. So, be responsible consumers.

MattsworknameYeah, i got started and then made it through t the first few misions anthen blood borne05/23/2015 - 10:13pm
Goth_SkunkWhich one, Dragon Age?05/23/2015 - 8:20pm
Wonderkarpalso waiting patiently for Batman.05/23/2015 - 7:36pm
MattsworknameIn still trying ot beat that game the first time. Freaking game has so much side questing05/23/2015 - 7:34pm
Goth_SkunkPlaying a third and probably final playthrough of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Once that's done, I'll move on to AC: Unity, most likely, then get caught up on A-list games I have yet to play, like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Shadows of Mordor.05/23/2015 - 6:33pm
MattsworknameIf you own a vita and like monster hunter, but dont like the bs filler that goes with it. Try tokiden kiwmai05/23/2015 - 6:11pm
Matthew Wilsonaparently their servers got crushed, but I dont see the game selling well. Nintendo fans tend not to be fans of competitive fps05/23/2015 - 5:48pm
MattsworknameSPlatton looks intersting, Love the are style, gonna give the game a try with the upcoming test fire05/23/2015 - 4:39pm
PHX Corp@Technogeek, I'm returning for one more Run with the Global testfire05/23/2015 - 3:41pm
WonderkarpI'm bouncing all over the place but right now I'd say I'm playing Super Mario 64 trying to max out the stars. 2 worlds and 2 secret stars to go05/23/2015 - 1:12pm
TechnogeekReminder: Splatoon Global Testfire returns this afternoon/evening.05/23/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm