WaPo on Tea Party Zombies Must Die

September 8, 2011 -

Another interesting editorias about Tea Party Zombies Must Die - this time in the Washington Post. What's interesting about this opinion piece is that the author, Alexandra Petri, is a recovering (I think) comedian and part-time pundit who can see both sides to some degree but shrugs off the manufactured outrage as.. well, manufactured:

"I tried to get indignant about the game. I really did. This morning, I sat and furrowed my brow and thought dark thoughts for a good half-hour.

But I couldn’t do it. The only time I get indignant about video game violence is if I hear that someone has used a video game cartridge to physically injure a real person. Up until that point, you can do whatever you want to whatever animated hookers you’d prefer. As the Supreme Court noted, this is what the Founders would have wished. Jefferson was notorious for his affinity for Grand Theft Carriage.

Talking about video games reminds me of an Oscar Wilde quip about the weather — “Don’t talk to me about the weather,” one of his characters says. “Whenever people talk to me about the weather I always feel quite certain that they mean something else.”

That’s how it tends to be with video game indignation. The sets of People Who Get Upset About Violent Video Games and People Who Have Played Video Games Even Once Or Twice With Any Enjoyment Whatsoever tend not to overlap at all. The game is a proxy. Too much violence amongst youth? There must be a game we can blame! This isn’t free speech! Free speech doesn’t include zombies!"

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - even if that imitation is dead and is surrounded by a message that you are diametrically opposed to. No worries - there's no such thing as bad PR.

Source: Washington Post

Comments

Re: WaPo on Tea Party Zombies Must Die

Heh, different reaction from when there was an Obama game and article

Re: WaPo on Tea Party Zombies Must Die

The difference being this article (at the time of your posting) had no comments in it.  Likely explained by the fact that there are two other (comment-filled) articles about this game posted in the last day.

Andrew Eisen

Poll

Will Target Australia sell the next GTA game upon its release?:

MattsworknameInfo: What dictionary says and what people today use that word for are not the same07/30/2015 - 3:30am
Sora-ChanPixels was a movie I was interested in for a week. A week after it got announced it was announced Sandler was in it and i went "... naw"07/30/2015 - 3:13am
Infophile@Goth: Apparently you're in the minority, from what reviews I've seen. Haven't seen it myself though, so I can't say how valid the reviews are. One question: Did they do Space Invaders at any point?07/30/2015 - 3:05am
Goth_SkunkJust came back from Pixels. Loved it. I knew I would.07/30/2015 - 2:33am
InfophileFor reference, see https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/accountable - It just means you have to answer for it. It has nothing to do with being punished for it.07/30/2015 - 1:47am
Mattsworknameohh, gods that game is pretty, just not my style these days07/29/2015 - 11:49pm
Andrew EisenUbisoft's Child of Light.07/29/2015 - 11:45pm
MattsworknameEnjoy man, Im gonna be playing split second myself07/29/2015 - 11:45pm
Andrew EisenSorry. That just slipped out. Off to play.07/29/2015 - 11:43pm
Andrew EisenWords have meanings, people! Use the damn dictionary! They're online! They're free! Arrggghhhh!07/29/2015 - 11:42pm
Andrew EisenThis is just depressing. I'm gonna go play video games.07/29/2015 - 11:42pm
Mattsworknameproliferation of the whole "internet movment" thing, people dont debate, they try to attack and go after peole to shut them down, casue it's easier then trying to debate the issues07/29/2015 - 11:39pm
MattsworknameWhen you break it down, what it is is the shifting of the media lanscape and how it effects news sites and other groups. once upon a time, you could have run that same article and it would have created debate, not online campagns, now, cause of the07/29/2015 - 11:38pm
MattsworknameCall it waht you wil, but thats how its viewed, not just by me, but by just about EVERYONE right now. Media, new networks, they dont' want to call it what it is, soe they call it "accountability"07/29/2015 - 11:34pm
Andrew Eisen"Gamasutra... had to pay" Yes. That's EXACTLY what it was. "Accountability" is and always was horse poop.07/29/2015 - 11:29pm
MattsworknameSo to speak07/29/2015 - 11:28pm
MattsworknameThats why this happened, you get people who felt hurt, marginalize, bettrayd, or otherwise offended, and they don't actually look at teh facts, they just attack and try to get there Blood for Blood07/29/2015 - 11:28pm
Mattsworknamefalse. Weather you think the article was right or not, there was a large group who felt taht gamastura and the other media sites had to pay for there actions, weather they deserved it or not07/29/2015 - 11:27pm
Andrew EisenTrying to yank advertising over a single opinion piece on a site that I would bet money most of the offended (if you will) didn't read, is no more an attempt at accountability than the Brown shooting's subsequent riots.07/29/2015 - 11:27pm
MattsworknameMy point andrew is that it's not about them, its about the people responding to the situation. THe brown shooting was eventually shown to be completely justified, but the "Black lives matter" meme kept on rolling despite all it's intiall claims being07/29/2015 - 11:26pm