WaPo on Tea Party Zombies Must Die

September 8, 2011 -

Another interesting editorias about Tea Party Zombies Must Die - this time in the Washington Post. What's interesting about this opinion piece is that the author, Alexandra Petri, is a recovering (I think) comedian and part-time pundit who can see both sides to some degree but shrugs off the manufactured outrage as.. well, manufactured:

"I tried to get indignant about the game. I really did. This morning, I sat and furrowed my brow and thought dark thoughts for a good half-hour.

But I couldn’t do it. The only time I get indignant about video game violence is if I hear that someone has used a video game cartridge to physically injure a real person. Up until that point, you can do whatever you want to whatever animated hookers you’d prefer. As the Supreme Court noted, this is what the Founders would have wished. Jefferson was notorious for his affinity for Grand Theft Carriage.

Talking about video games reminds me of an Oscar Wilde quip about the weather — “Don’t talk to me about the weather,” one of his characters says. “Whenever people talk to me about the weather I always feel quite certain that they mean something else.”

That’s how it tends to be with video game indignation. The sets of People Who Get Upset About Violent Video Games and People Who Have Played Video Games Even Once Or Twice With Any Enjoyment Whatsoever tend not to overlap at all. The game is a proxy. Too much violence amongst youth? There must be a game we can blame! This isn’t free speech! Free speech doesn’t include zombies!"

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - even if that imitation is dead and is surrounded by a message that you are diametrically opposed to. No worries - there's no such thing as bad PR.

Source: Washington Post

Comments

Re: WaPo on Tea Party Zombies Must Die

Heh, different reaction from when there was an Obama game and article

Re: WaPo on Tea Party Zombies Must Die

The difference being this article (at the time of your posting) had no comments in it.  Likely explained by the fact that there are two other (comment-filled) articles about this game posted in the last day.

Andrew Eisen

james_fudgeshouldn't that be marked as an editorial? There's a lot of opinion in it.11/24/2014 - 12:49pm
WonderkarpI try to direct gamergate away from the same old antagonists. The least talk about Quinn or Wu or Sarkeesian, the more they can talk about the real issues. Its why I've rarely ever mentioned them on my twitter, unless there's like a giant news development11/24/2014 - 12:46pm
Andrew EisenHoly Metamucil, that Blogjob article is STILL propagating the same Grayson/Quinn horse poop!11/24/2014 - 12:30pm
Andrew EisenWell, to be clear, no one manually added your name.11/24/2014 - 12:26pm
Andrew EisenOh, and I know Harper's Twitter handle but that isn't the name on the list you linked to nor was she ever mentioned by name. Hence my subsequent confusion. The name on the list was something like randi_ebooks. But yeah, that's still Harper. Same list.11/24/2014 - 12:25pm
WonderkarpABC reporter admits they chose Harassment angle over coruption when reporting #GamerGate http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/11/gamergate-abc-reporter-admits-they-chose-harassment-coverage-over-corruption/11/24/2014 - 12:25pm
Wonderkarpnah. I was miffed, but I got my apology. Now I think its hilarious that htey put me in that. I told my friend and cohost of my lets plays once I move, and she said she's gonna try to make the list XD. I told her "Just follow these people"11/24/2014 - 12:24pm
Andrew EisenHeh, looks like we confirmed it at the same time!11/24/2014 - 12:15pm
Andrew EisenYep, it was a pseudonym. By the by, there's an appeals process to be whitelisted if that's still a concern of yours.11/24/2014 - 12:15pm
WonderkarpI wasnt 100% certain so I confirmed it.11/24/2014 - 12:13pm
Wonderkarpyeah. Randi Harper is @FreeBSDGirl, Its her list.11/24/2014 - 12:09pm
Andrew EisenAre you sure? Because, again, I'm pretty sure it had a different name and author. Was it a pseudonym or something?11/24/2014 - 11:57am
Wonderkarpno, Randi Harper designed the list that IGDA used.11/24/2014 - 11:53am
Andrew EisenI was going to ask yesterday but isn't that a different list than the one IGDA has up a few days ago? Shout box doesn't go back that far but I'm pretty sure the list had a different name and author.11/24/2014 - 11:51am
WonderkarpBlocklist Author Randi Harper accused of Doxxing Someone on the List http://theralphretort.com/time-caught-blocklist-dunce-randi-harper-doxing-someone/11/24/2014 - 10:56am
ZippyDSMleehttp://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=35311/24/2014 - 9:46am
WonderkarpDay 4 of my Amiibos. Still Unopened. Now pegged too a wall. I just love the packaging too much11/24/2014 - 8:12am
PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm