From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

September 9, 2011 -

While some within the Ubisoft studio structure may think that DRM is a grand idea, Ubisoft seems to have relented once again - this time patching out the protection on From Dust. The company apologized for the "always-on" DRM being in the game last month because when they announced the Pc version the company said it would have an "activate once" style of protection. Obviously that didn't happen and fans were ticked off about it. The company said when it apologized that the DRM being put in the game was simply a "misunderstanding."

Misunderstanding or not, a new patch on Steam removes the DRM completely. From the Steam Patch Notes:

"- Title can be played in offline mode (no connection to the Internet is required after installing the patch)

- Save file is moved from the Uplay/Ubisoft server to the local machine"

Source: C&VG

Posted in

Comments

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

A little late but at least they are honoring the promise they made to begin with. Anyway, Ubisoft seems to be the heaviest handed with the DRM right now and I really don't know if it is helping them at all. Lets say you cut piracy by 50% (which I doubt), if your sales go down 10% in the process did you come out ahead?

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

This was relevant to me at some point in time long ago. Now I just avoid buying Ubisoft titles until I start seeing the DRM removal posts in the gaming news sites. Once I know the DRM has been removed only then will I consider buying it.

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

I still don't trust 'em.

----
Papa Midnight

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

Isn't Steam good enough when it comes to DRM?  I don't understand why publishers insist on putting an additional layer of unnecessary DRM when using Steam.

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

My guess is that they're panicky and stupid, and do kneejerk things with a great deal of wailing and wringing of hands, and at no point do they stop and say "hey, seeing as how this pisses off customers, do we actually get anything for it?" (The answer is "hell no," by the way: From Dust was cracked on day one, I hear.)

Re: From Dust Steam Patch Kills DRM

Do you still need to validate the thing with Ubisoft at all, ever?

MechaCrashYeah, even I think IP needs to dial it back.05/22/2015 - 12:35am
Mattsworknamesays05/21/2015 - 11:17pm
Andrew EisenThat's an... interesting way to interpret that.05/21/2015 - 8:36pm
Goth_SkunkAnd re BBC vs Rockstar: Ahh. I missed that. Woops!05/21/2015 - 8:33pm
DocMelonheadYou could say that the Mary Sue only interested in Gender issues in pop culture, and they only see GamerGate as a Hate group that fight for the oppressive status quo.05/21/2015 - 8:22pm
MechaCrashWell, can't blame him for not expanding on it and missing stories here. Sealioning people demanding proof of claims and then calling them liars when they provide it is busy work!05/21/2015 - 8:20pm
Andrew EisenRe: Mary Sue - Uh, why exactly? Re: Rockstar - Yep, we reported that earlier today.05/21/2015 - 8:12pm