All Hail The Sims Social

September 12, 2011 -

Electronic Arts has been gunning for Zynga the day it acquired social games maker Playfish, and today Zynga is getting a wake-up call. For the very first time, EA has created a game that is capable of taking the top spot from Zynga's Farmville.. maybe. The Sims Social now has around 36 million monthly active users, according to AppData. The game has achieved these numbers a month after its launch.

The Sims Social has held the top spot as the fastest growing application on Facebook for more than a week as well, with the game picking up an impressive 1.7 million new users on Sunday. Last week the game raked in 8.3 million new users as well. Zynga’s Farmville now has 35.7 million monthly active users.

Perhaps EA has finally found the secret formula for competing against games such as Farmville, Cityville and other Zynga games: branding. With so many familiar IP's at its disposal, EA actually might have a fighting chance against a game as big as Farmville. Of course using only the most recognizable IP's is that secret ingredient to this formula..

(Slight correction: We mistakenly wrote EA acquired Playdom in an earlier version of the story. We've corrected the story.)

Source: VentureBeat

Comments

Re: All Hail The Sims Social

No conclusion, just an observation:

Six characters in the pic.  Three guys, three gals.

One girl is wearing a crop top, one a bra and unzipped leather jacket, and one a shirt with an extreme plunging neckline.

One guy is wearing a t-shirt, one a buttoned, collared shirt, and one a collared shirt with the top two buttons open.

Andrew Eisen

Re: All Hail The Sims Social

take a quick look at the actual game, and you'l see why that matters a little less than 1%. People are playing this game because the social aspects, the design aspects, and the advancement paths are actually fun (if you're into that kind of thing)

I played it for a couple weeks, but got bored. Your expected to almost constantly spam your friends list with shit, which i don't like to do.

Re: All Hail The Sims Social

I have no interest in the game so I won't be taking a look at it.  I'm not judging or making a statement, just an observation that I found amusing.

Andrew Eisen

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm