GAME Australia's Rewards Program Gets Naughty

September 12, 2011 -

Video game retailer GAME Australia has revamped its customer reward card with a risqué new feature that lets customers use their fingers to simulate various male naughty bits. The cheeky marketing gimmick has drawn a lot of attention - with a slight bit of it being negative. MCV is reporting that multiple complaints have been filed with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC). GAME did not acknowledge or comment on those complaints; instead it talked to MCV about how wonderful the rewards program is for its customers.

The controversy involves holes in two of its cards. In one sticking your finger through a hole in the card gives the man on its face a big honking finger wiener. On another card, sticking two fingers in the holes on the card gives the man getting a piggy-back ride a naked buttocks.

Controversy aside, the new rewards program is called GAME ON, and rewards users with 10 points per $1 spent. When users earn 1000 points, it gives them $2 back on in-store purchases.

Ben Grant, marketing director, who avoided talking about the controversy, talked about relaunching the program over at MCV: "We decided to relaunch our Reward Card program, with extra benefits, to give us a major point of difference over the competition. It is important for videogames companies to acquire, retain and engage with customers, and our GAME ON Reward Card will certainly do that."

"People like saving money, and being rewarded for their loyalty, and gaming customers are no different," he continued. "We firmly believe that our new Reward Card program gives customers a compelling reason to shop with us. Our Reward Card customers will be given VIP access to many benefits that money cannot buy, such as free gaming preview events and competitions, priority access to collector's editions, and early access to sale promotions."

Source: MCV by way of Sp0ng. Image via Sp0ng. Thanks to Andrew Eisen fort the tip.

Comments

Re: GAME Australia's Rewards Program Gets Naughty

People have to spend a whopping $100 to get a $2 reward?

At first I thought that was a misprint but it is the same in the MCV article.

That is one of the worst promotions I have ever read about.

"People like saving money"? Then give them something that will actually save them some money.

Re: GAME Australia's Rewards Program Gets Naughty

It's like a credit card with 2% cash back.  It's not a ton of money.  But it's better than 0%.  Infinitely better laugh.

===============

Chris Kimberley

Re: GAME Australia's Rewards Program Gets Naughty

Point being...?

Re: GAME Australia's Rewards Program Gets Naughty

CLEARLY this is R18 rated right? :P

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm
Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am