Call of Duty XP Third Most Popular Televised Event in History

September 14, 2011 -

According to Activision its Call of Duty fan event, Call of Duty XP, was a smashing success and the second most viewed televised event in history. Speaking to IndustryGamers, Activision Publishing's top executive Eric Hirshberg said that they were delighted with how the event turned out and proud of the milestones it earned.

"The response has been pretty overwhelming – it was a terrific success, from both the standpoint of the people who attended in person and also our strategy to make it a connected, digital event for our fans worldwide," Hirshberg told IndustryGamers. "We had some pretty amazing metrics. Livestream, the company that broadcast the event for us, indicated that it's the second most viewed event in history – the first being the Royal Wedding and I think the third was a President Obama speech. So that's a pretty remarkable statistic."

Hirshberg also pointed out that when the event took place it trended globally on Twitter during its first 24 hours. Ultimately they feel that they have met their goal by getting fans to "really engage the game."

While Hirshberg did not have an exact headcount of how many fans attended XP, he put it at somewhere around 8,500 people.

While Hirshberg wouldn't commit to an event next year, it is likely to happen given the positive attention it received from fans..

Source: IndustryGamers

Comments

Re: Call of Duty XP Third Most Popular Televised Event in ...

"Apparently, it went very, very well, as online viewers made it the second most watched event on Livestream in history."

Televised and watched on Livestream are very different things.

Re: Call of Duty XP Third Most Popular Televised Event in ...

I don't even know what this is.  Sounds like bs to me.

Re: Call of Duty XP Third Most Popular Televised Event in ...

I think I'm missing something here. The Royal Wedding and Obama's speech were so popular, that everyone was talking about it. For a week or two, I heard a lot from everyone around me on those topics.

I never heard anyone around me mention this CoD event, not even the diehards.

I am confused >_>  Was it just because of the global numbers? Wouldn't the World Cup have more viewers then?

james_fudgeI'll be watching the Facebook page09/01/2015 - 10:14am
james_fudgethe site maybe up right now, but we're not updating until we're at the new location.09/01/2015 - 10:13am
james_fudgehttps://www.facebook.com/gamepolitics09/01/2015 - 10:12am
Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm