ESA CEO Talks STEM to Congress

September 14, 2011 -

Entertainment Software Association (ESA) president and CEO Michael Gallagher went before the United States House of Representatives' Committee on Science, Space, and Technology to promote the use of video games and game-like technologies for educational purposes. The talk, entitled "STEM in Action: Inspiring the Science and Engineering Workforce of Tomorrow," was meant to emphasize the fact that games are very effective in encouraging children to pursue careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM).

"We commend Chairman Hall and Ranking Member Johnson for their leadership on this issue. Our industry’s interactive technology provides students with a new mode of learning,” said Gallagher yesterday before the committee. "With the power to improve critical thinking and problem solving skills, games are next-generation learning tools that have the potential to transform the educational experiences of children across the country. We encourage educators and policy makers to take steps now to incorporate these resources into classrooms and ensure that our young people are equipped for success in emerging STEM careers."

The ESA has certainly done its fair share of heavy lifting when it comes to STEM; the trade group heavily promoted the Educate to Innovate STEM campaign launched by the Administration in 2009 and partnered with the White House Office of Science Technology Policy to organize the national STEM Video Game Challenge. It also offers annual scholarships to students interested in perusing an education that will lead to game development, and its president - Michael Gallagher - has served as a judge for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Apps for Healthy Kids competition.

Source: IndustryGamers

Comments

Re: ESA CEO Talks STEM to Congress

This is wonderful to see.  I do wish we here followed the example of gaming political groups that try to involve their government more in gaming (by getting them to play a few) so that they stop demonizing us.

Bravo! And I cant wait to see how this turns out.  I think games is an excellent way to teach children. Why exactly wouldn't we do this?

Cori

Cori Roberts
Gameinatrix.com-Owner
Gamergirlsradio.com-Owner/podcast co-host/resident bitch and cutter

Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm