Report: UMD Program Planned for PSP Vita Buyers

September 14, 2011 -

Sony is claiming that it may have a solution for PSP UMD game owners as it relates to using them on your spiffy new PlayStation Vita when it is released sometime in March of next year. Sony is considering some kind of special program to offer special download versions of games consumers own on UMD as replacements, according to Destructoid.

During its TGS press event Sony said that there will be around 500-600 titles that will work with the Vita and that "just about all of the current PSP downloadable games on the PlayStation Network." All of these PSP games will reportedly support the dual analog sticks and OLED screen of the system.

Hopefully Sony will follow through with this idea so that UMD users will feel comfortable buying the new PSP; they certainly got a raw deal when Sony didn't bother with its planned "PSPgo rewards" program...

Source: Destructoid

Comments

Re: Report: UMD Program Planned for PSP Vita Buyers

I'm looking forward to the PSP Vita.  The PSP was such a disappointment, but it looks like they got everything right on this one.  So if this program comes through, all the better!  I have a few games on UMD that I did enjoy, even if they are just collecting dust right now.

Re: Report: UMD Program Planned for PSP Vita Buyers

That sounds suspiciously like the program they were planning for the PSPgo that failed to materialize.

Silly me. Commenting before reading the whole article.

Re: Report: UMD Program Planned for PSP Vita Buyers

You initial response was warranted. I have the same concerns still even though the article explicitly states that Sony wont do a PSPgo fiasco all over again. Sony has a while to go before their recent track record can be obfuscated.

MechaCrashYeah, even I think IP needs to dial it back.05/22/2015 - 12:35am
Mattsworknamesays05/21/2015 - 11:17pm
Andrew EisenThat's an... interesting way to interpret that.05/21/2015 - 8:36pm
Goth_SkunkAnd re BBC vs Rockstar: Ahh. I missed that. Woops!05/21/2015 - 8:33pm
DocMelonheadYou could say that the Mary Sue only interested in Gender issues in pop culture, and they only see GamerGate as a Hate group that fight for the oppressive status quo.05/21/2015 - 8:22pm
MechaCrashWell, can't blame him for not expanding on it and missing stories here. Sealioning people demanding proof of claims and then calling them liars when they provide it is busy work!05/21/2015 - 8:20pm
Andrew EisenRe: Mary Sue - Uh, why exactly? Re: Rockstar - Yep, we reported that earlier today.05/21/2015 - 8:12pm
Goth_SkunkRockstar is suing the BBC. http://ow.ly/NgzDm05/21/2015 - 8:00pm
Goth_SkunkWhy I don't take The Mary Sue seriously, and why you shouldn't either: http://ow.ly/Ngzkk05/21/2015 - 7:55pm