Buying Back Your Own Stolen Game Isn't Cool

September 23, 2011 -

Kyoto police have arrested 50-year-old Japanese man Hiroyuki Kaneda for allegedly stealing an eight-year-old boy's game software and game machine and selling it. According to an Andriasang report, the theft allegedly took place in late May at a local supermarket.

The boy apparently left his game machine and game in the store, and when the suspect ran across it, he apparently pocketed it. Here's where things get sleazy. The boy's father wanted to replace the boy's game so he went to a used game store just a few feet away from the super market where he lost his original game. After purchasing the game, the father and son realized that they had just bought back the game that had been lost in the store; it had his saved character data on it.

The father filed a report with the Kyoto police one day after purchasing the used game. Police followed the trail of the sale back to the suspect, who they believe Kaneda stole the boy's pouch from the supermarket bathroom, then sold all of its contents to the used game shop for cash.

The suspect was arrested yesterday. What charges he'll face were not revealed.

Source: andriasang

Posted in

Comments

Re: Buying Back Your Own Stolen Game Isn't Cool

That's pretty lucky. I hope they ended up not paying for the stolen stuff at all.

-----------------------------------------

Managing Editor at TheBestGameSiteEver.com

PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm
Andrew EisenGP Movie Night!08/31/2015 - 8:41pm
Big PermEveyone should be too busy with phantom pain to notice GP is down. Hail Vidya!08/31/2015 - 8:40pm