Social Game Makers Warn: Monthly Active User Numbers Can Be Misleading

September 28, 2011 -

Two social game developers are warning that using inflated monthly active user (or MAU's) number is not a good idea - particularly when it comes to data coming out of games available in Asia. According to social game makers InnoGames and A Bit Lucky monthly and daily active numbers from Asia are not a good measure of a game's success because some regions don't offer any serious monetization.

"Asia is not our highest priority," Gerhard Florin, chairman of InnoGames, told GamesIndustry.biz. "It's good for reach and to have lots of MAUs and DAUs, especially if I go to the Philippines, but I'll never make any money there. They are huge Facebook markets but deliver extremely small revenues."

Florin adds that these numbers are great for making headlines, but not so good for making any actual money.

"We're more interested in the revenue making than the millions of people inflating our servers but never paying anything. The balance needs to be kept," Florin says.

A Bit Lucky CEO Frederic Descamps says that in a space where measuring analytics and user behavior is central to the design of a game, inflated numbers corrupt the important data.

"We've had a pretty terrible time, like most developers, in South East Asia - Indonesia, Malaysia, India. These regions only inflate your numbers and they muddy the water on the analytics side because you'll see an influx of 20,000 people, but right away we know that most of them are not going to come back the next day."

"And most of them have a pretty terrible connection so they're not going to enjoy the game. And they absolutely do not monetise," he added.

Companies like A Bit Lucky are putting their focus on growing in markets where customers can actually be convinced or are already inclined to make in-game transactions.

"To put it more bluntly in our case, we are targeting North America and Europe because those are the audiences that retain the best and monetise the best," offered Descamps. "So in some ways we're not spending any efforts to market in those other regions."

Source: GameIndustry.biz

Comments

Re: Social Game Makers Warn: Monthly Active User Numbers Can ...

Social games are really pretty nice if the owners can supply it. Most of them are just making it for money so it is not working :/ I wish to find a game where i can play fast and without spam!

Big PermLenny Kravitz penis has been trending all day08/04/2015 - 11:45pm
MattsworknameSo far, Win 8 gave me nothing but problems08/04/2015 - 11:18pm
MattsworknameI;ll see what I can come up with tomarow08/04/2015 - 11:16pm
ZippyDSMleethose is the issue.08/04/2015 - 10:47pm
ZippyDSMleeOdd, even with admin? I have UAC turned off so I do not have to fuss with it too much, also in order to run FO3/NV you need DX,VC++ 010, mmm might try and download VC++ distro pack both 32 and 64bit from 8 to 2012 or so and isntall them see if one of thos08/04/2015 - 10:46pm
MattsworknameTried that 2 zippy, it still wouldn't work08/04/2015 - 10:43pm
ZippyDSMleeI have had to run NV in compatibility mode before. I have both FO3 and NV running fine with a bunch of mods on win8.108/04/2015 - 10:24pm
MattsworknameI did the direct x 9 fix, issue remains08/04/2015 - 10:13pm
MattsworknameI've had issues with it since the start really, as soon as I tried to run it on Win 8.1, vegas woudl crash as soon as i launched it, even when using the base game08/04/2015 - 10:12pm
MattsworknameManta: I run into issues the moment I try to use any mods. and some times even no mods08/04/2015 - 10:09pm
MattsworknameChris ray gun on the gawker media scandel from a few weeks back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGv0KTV9IM08/04/2015 - 10:08pm
black mantaFunny, Matt. I've been able to run it from Steam no problem.08/04/2015 - 10:02pm
Big PermDo you need Directx 9.0c still? Should be a manual download for win 7/808/04/2015 - 9:55pm
MattsworknameBlack manta; I've been trying to get vegas and 3 to work on windows 8 for months and no method I tries fixed it manta08/04/2015 - 9:53pm
Big PermOh wow, yeah cleared my entire history and now suggestions are subs instead08/04/2015 - 9:15pm
Big PermI think you can mecha. Unless it's just removing it from your UI and still tracking it behind the scenes08/04/2015 - 9:11pm
MechaTama31It would be nice if Youtube just let you delete a video from your history, like Netflix does.08/04/2015 - 9:09pm
black mantaF3 and NV have long been since fixed. They run great on Windows 8 and 8.1. And there's also the Unofficial Patch for F3 and the Mission Mojave patch for NV in case they don't.08/04/2015 - 9:05pm
MattsworknameYeah Big, but for those who had the game for long times, it is to late for that08/04/2015 - 8:43pm
Big PermNow that steam refunds are a thing, I'd hope they care more about not releasing a buggy mess.08/04/2015 - 8:34pm