Brown v. EMA Expenses Kicked to Ninth Circuit

October 3, 2011 -

It looks like the State of California and the Entertainment Merchants Association (EMA) have not quite completed their courtroom business together, but the rest of their battle will take place in a lower court.

The Supreme Court of the United States chose not to make a ruling on the EMA’s request that the court award it $1.4 million in attorney’s fees and expenses related to Brown v. EMA (08-1448). Instead, the court sent it back to the Ninth Circuit Court for adjudication.

The EMA had asked the court to award it expenses related to the "Violent Video Game Law" penned by State Senator Leland Yee – who is now running for Mayor of San Francisco. A loss by the state would be a black eye to Yee and to Governor Jerry Brown for a number of reasons but I can think of 1.4 million other reasons why the public might get out the pitchforks and torches...

We’ll have more on this story as it develops. As usual the decision on this case comes from the wonderful SCOTUS BLOG.

Comments

Re: Brown v. EMA Expenses Kicked to Ninth Circuit

Basically, what this means is that SCOTUS is letting the Ninth Circuit decide the case whether that means the EMA and ESA gets the full $1.4 million or both sides agree to settle the case.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Pelicans. Solidarity for the Saints = No retreat, no surrender. 2013 = Saints' revenge on the NFL. Even through the darkest days, this fire burns always.

Re: Brown v. EMA Expenses Kicked to Ninth Circuit

Oh gee, so glad Yee has California's financial problems all figured out so he can spend money on vanity projects like this /sarcasm

Seriously though, politicians should have to pay for obviously bogus failed laws out of their own pockets.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions Mr Yee, I'd suggest you stop BEFORE you smell brimstone.

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm
Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm