EA: We Still Have a Good Relationship with Valve

October 3, 2011 -

Speaking to GameIndustry.biz, Jens Uwe Intat, the head of Electronic Arts Europe, said that his company continues to have a good working relationship with Valve Software, despite launching its own rival digital distribution services earlier this year. He is referring to the companies' continuing their retail relationship, and not necessarily the rivalry between its Origin digital distribution service and Valve's Steam.

"Valve is run by very clever people, and I would say that's also true for Electronic Arts, we're all good business people," Intat told GamesIndustry.biz. "So, Valve, when they're looking for distribution for their products, looking at which publisher could actually do that, then I think we're the best publisher on the planet, both in Europe and North America."

"We have a long history of distributing Valve products and I think for every title they will look for who will do the best job," he continued. "There's no strain on that relationship because we're competing in one space. We're basically competing and working with a lot of people. Every first party manufacturer is a partner of ours when we're distributing their product, and a competitor of ours with their own software. I think, as an industry, we're pretty good at competing and co-operating at the same time."

EA COO Peter Moore said in a separate interview that he was not sure that EA is taking Steam on with Origin.

"I'm not sure we're taking them on," Moore said. "We're a great compliment to that business. We want to be able to support our customer directly. If there are opportunities to do that, then we'll do that. If Valve, through Steam are willing to allow us to do that, then there are no issues whatsoever. In the instances where you're not seeing a game on Steam, it's primarily because we can't deal directly with our consumer to resolve issues and do things we want to be able to do."

One of EA's major contentions has been that Valve will not let EA deal with customers directly when it comes to certain things such as patching software on steam, and that is why it was necessary to create a service like Origin.

Source: GI.biz

Comments

Re: EA: We Still Have a Good Relationship with Valve

As Long as Crysis 2 gets back on Steam. I do not care about BF3 being Origins only.

Re: EA: We Still Have a Good Relationship with Valve

Sure, why not. Origin is inferior in almost every way to Steam. There is no reason for either party to be upset as there is no threat to either business.

Sure I'm disgusted with EA for making me use this piece of crap for BF3 and SW:TOR but I won't fault the developers of the games for it. They're stuck like we are with an arrogant publisher.

Re: EA: We Still Have a Good Relationship with Valve

it might be true that EA still has a good relationship with Valve.

However, they do not have a good relationship with their customers anymore.

╔╦═╣Signature Statement╠═╦╗

If you don't like something I said in a post, don't just hit the dislike, let me know your thoughts! I'm interested in knowing everyone's opinions, even when they don't mesh with my own.

Re: EA: We Still Have a Good Relationship with Valve

Oh, yeah?. Very nice, EA, very nice.

How about then if you fix the messy Mirror's Edge release you have in Steam?. Compatibility with the DLC, which should be free BTW, achievements and bugfixes would go a long way. Your customers are the ones getting the short end there, and many of us are thinking very seriously of stopping being your customers.

Poll

Should ‘sexism’ factor into a video game’s rating?:

Wonderkarpgranted, 2 of those instances are sited sources, and the rest is divided between 2-3 different stories11/21/2014 - 2:24pm
E. Zachary KnightWow. Quinn's name shows up 33 times, but it isn't about her.11/21/2014 - 2:21pm
Wonderkarpalso Activision makes me sad with that. Glitchs are hilariously fun(so long as they dont happen 100% of the time)11/21/2014 - 2:18pm
WonderkarpHe's one of the 5 men linked to Zoe Quinn. works at Kotaku. Kind of an ass11/21/2014 - 2:18pm
Andrew EisenHe's a games journalist.11/21/2014 - 2:13pm
Michael ChandraWho is Nathon Grayson?11/21/2014 - 2:07pm
MaskedPixelantehttps://twitter.com/BroTeamPill/status/535841124884418560 Source.11/21/2014 - 1:49pm
Andrew EisenFun Fact: Zoe Quinn's name shows up in that GamerGate press docket 33 times! Nathon Grayson's name? Only eight. Guess which one's the game journalist.11/21/2014 - 1:48pm
MaskedPixelanteApparently Activision is issuing copyright strikes against streamers who show off CoD glitches. Out now but I'll source when I get home.11/21/2014 - 1:22pm
Andrew EisenIf you see something you think we should cover, let us know!11/21/2014 - 1:11pm
WonderkarpAnd the GamerGate Girls Huffington Post Video should have been on this site weeks ago http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/15/female-gamers-gamergate_n_5990310.html11/21/2014 - 12:46pm
Wonderkarpits not getting dropped, Monte. Its become a defiant cry in the face of adversity and lies11/21/2014 - 12:42pm
Wonderkarphttp://press.gamergate.me/dossier/ The GamerGate Press Site. All the Information and Evidence that supports their arguments and goals. This is the 5th time I've posted this.11/21/2014 - 12:40pm
MonteIts why i feel that they would be better off dropping the gamergate tag. The tag is far to tainted and they attract the anti-fem trolls. Find a new tag, loose the baggage and then you can have a discussion on journalism free of distractions11/21/2014 - 12:40pm
WonderkarpGG got together and put together a press site that contains all their evidence and arguements in a single easy FAQ. I've posted it here many times to silence.11/21/2014 - 12:36pm
MonteIt does seem like GG spends more time trying to defned itself from accusations than actually talking about journalism; hence one reason why they keep coming back to the topic of feminists despite them having nearly nothing to do with gaming journalism11/21/2014 - 12:36pm
Wonderkarpwhat do you mean "Their own fault"? are you saying its Gamergates fault that the 11 dead gamer articles were written? that it was GamerGates fault when they got together to cry out that they were shouted down by louder megaphones?11/21/2014 - 12:35pm
NeenekoThere is unity of attack, and unity of defense, but not of message or identity. Which the group's own defensiveness has blinded to them since it is chalked up to 'media is out to get us' as opposed to their own fault.11/21/2014 - 12:10pm
NeenekoOh unity I will give you, it is one of the group's weakest points.11/21/2014 - 12:07pm
WonderkarpI dont think so. There's a lot of Unity in Gamergate. OPSkynet has only strengthend the group and brought people together. and I spent a couple months "Gorillas in the Mist"ing the group11/21/2014 - 11:54am