Verizon Files Lawsuit against New Net Neutrality Rules

October 3, 2011 -

Last week advocacy group Free Press filed a lawsuit in federal court to block the recently ratified Net Neutrality rules approved by the FCC late last year. On Friday afternoon Verizon joined the fray. While both groups are on opposite ends of the spectrum (Verizon doesn't want any rules, while Free Press and groups like them think the rules aren't tough enough) when it comes to their reason for going to court, they share an interest in seeing the law struck down by the courts.

On Friday afternoon, Verizon filed its challenge to the FCC's network neutrality rules, suing in federal court to stop them. Verizon's core argument in its court filing is that the agency has no authority to issue rules affecting the Internet.

"Verizon is fully committed to an open Internet," said Verizon senior vice president Michael Glover in a statement. "We are deeply concerned by the FCC’s assertion of broad authority to impose potentially sweeping and unneeded regulations on broadband networks and services and on the Internet itself. We believe this assertion of authority is inconsistent with the statute and will create uncertainty for the communications industry, innovators, investors and consumers."

Verizon's lawsuit takes issue with the fact that the rules exempt wireless networks, and describes them as "arbitrary" and "capricious." Free Press basically used the same arguments as Verizon when it filed its case before the federal courts. Verizon has hired attorney Helgi Walker to oversee its fight in federal court. She has some expertise on the matter, having represented Comcast to argue that the FCC has no authority to regulate its P2P throttling practices.

We'll keep you posted on this story as well as any other lawsuit filed against the FCC's new rules.

Source: Ars Technica

Comments

Re: Verizon Files Lawsuit against New Net Neutrality Rules

I thinks its very nice read about the Verizon Files Lawsuit against New Net Neutrality Rules,.

chino hills boot camp

Re: Verizon Files Lawsuit against New Net Neutrality Rules

"Verizon is fully committed to an open Internet"

I didn't realize that they added smell-o-vision to the interwebs? Because I can smell the BS from here.

Poll

Have you visited a video game arcade in the last year?:

james_fudgeThere aren't many left in America08/21/2014 - 1:50am
MechaTama31I sure have. Dorky's barcade in Tacoma, WA.08/20/2014 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI have not been to a arcade in years. I know arcades are still big in japan.08/20/2014 - 5:38pm
Sleaker@AE - Ah no it's called GroundKontrol - I was just referring to it as a Bar-Arcade.08/20/2014 - 4:39pm
Andrew EisenStill looking for confirmation that High Moon Studios (dev behind the PS3/360 versions) isn't working on it.08/20/2014 - 4:38pm
ZenGotcha.08/20/2014 - 4:37pm
Andrew EisenI already updated the story with it!08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
Zenhttp://www.gonintendo.com/s/235574-treyarch-isn-t-working-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-for-wii-u-either08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
ZenLet me send the link for the Tweet as well...they state Treyarch is not working on it. Grabbing it now.08/20/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenWhere does it say that "NO dev is working on it"?08/20/2014 - 4:33pm
ZenHere's the link for my last comment: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/20/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-not-coming-to-wii-u08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
ZenWell, Call of Duty is skipping Wii U completely it seems...they updated that NO dev is working on it. Great way to just skip a market.08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
Andrew EisenYeah, Dave and Busters back in 2011 was the last time for me.08/20/2014 - 4:16pm
ZenWell, I tried lol. We just got a Dave and Busters on the beach but haven't been there yet...may go this weekend.08/20/2014 - 3:52pm
Andrew EisenIt's called The Bar-Arcade? Missed opportunity. I would have gone with Barcade.08/20/2014 - 3:25pm
SleakerThe Bar-Arcade however did have a lot of good pinball machines, they were however always taken as the place was packed..08/20/2014 - 1:17pm
Sleakerso I've been to an Arcade-Bar, not that great of a place has some okay machines, but generally over-packed. And then all the kid-friendly ones have is ticket-games nothing actually good unfortunately :(08/20/2014 - 1:14pm
Andrew EisenIf it has an area dedicated to arcade machines, I'd say it counts. Arcade machine in your house though, nope.08/20/2014 - 12:16pm
ZenDoes it count if you have actual arcade machines in your house?08/20/2014 - 12:01pm
E. Zachary KnightWith the current poll, I guess it all depends on how one defines "arcade". If Chuck E Cheese or similar multipurpose businesses count, then that is a yes for me.08/20/2014 - 11:59am