Verizon Files Lawsuit against New Net Neutrality Rules

October 3, 2011 -

Last week advocacy group Free Press filed a lawsuit in federal court to block the recently ratified Net Neutrality rules approved by the FCC late last year. On Friday afternoon Verizon joined the fray. While both groups are on opposite ends of the spectrum (Verizon doesn't want any rules, while Free Press and groups like them think the rules aren't tough enough) when it comes to their reason for going to court, they share an interest in seeing the law struck down by the courts.

On Friday afternoon, Verizon filed its challenge to the FCC's network neutrality rules, suing in federal court to stop them. Verizon's core argument in its court filing is that the agency has no authority to issue rules affecting the Internet.

"Verizon is fully committed to an open Internet," said Verizon senior vice president Michael Glover in a statement. "We are deeply concerned by the FCC’s assertion of broad authority to impose potentially sweeping and unneeded regulations on broadband networks and services and on the Internet itself. We believe this assertion of authority is inconsistent with the statute and will create uncertainty for the communications industry, innovators, investors and consumers."

Verizon's lawsuit takes issue with the fact that the rules exempt wireless networks, and describes them as "arbitrary" and "capricious." Free Press basically used the same arguments as Verizon when it filed its case before the federal courts. Verizon has hired attorney Helgi Walker to oversee its fight in federal court. She has some expertise on the matter, having represented Comcast to argue that the FCC has no authority to regulate its P2P throttling practices.

We'll keep you posted on this story as well as any other lawsuit filed against the FCC's new rules.

Source: Ars Technica

Comments

Re: Verizon Files Lawsuit against New Net Neutrality Rules

I thinks its very nice read about the Verizon Files Lawsuit against New Net Neutrality Rules,.

chino hills boot camp

Re: Verizon Files Lawsuit against New Net Neutrality Rules

"Verizon is fully committed to an open Internet"

I didn't realize that they added smell-o-vision to the interwebs? Because I can smell the BS from here.

Mattsworknamehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo09/01/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameTotal bisquit talkes about why teh Deus X pre order systems is garbage.09/01/2015 - 3:18am
PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm