Zune Hardware Officially Abandoned

October 4, 2011 -

Microsoft has officially abandoned Zune, admitting publicly for the first time that production of the hardware has ceased. RIP, iPod wannabe. Microsoft said that Windows Phone will be where it puts all its attention on in that space and that Zune will live on as a brand. The Zune brand will live on as the face of Microsoft’s content sales services. It remains a mainstay in the Entertainment section of the Xbox dashboard, for example.

"We recently announced that, going forward, Windows Phone will be the focus of our mobile music and video strategy, and that we will no longer be producing Zune players," an official statement read. "So what does this mean for our current Zune users? Absolutely nothing. Your device will continue to work with Zune services just as it does today. And we will continue to honor the warranties of all devices for both current owners and those who buy our very last devices. Customer service has been, and will remain a top priority for us."

When Microsoft launched the first Zune player in 2006 it had high hopes that it would be able to compete with Apple's iPod. After serial iterations of the hardware, it was clear that Zune just couldn't compete at the level Microsoft wanted it to compete at.

Source: MCV

Comments

Re: Zune Hardware Officially Abandoned

The Price, the DRM and other problems why would one want a Zune? They tried to turn into video market place into a seperate Zune program on xbox to make it harder to get on. Windows 8 looks like crap Google is seriously getting into the PC buisness Microsoft is soon to be replaced

Re: Zune Hardware Officially Abandoned

I have a Zune, but I don't buy from their music store. I actually haven't bought any music for a while now. Not much appeals to me these days. I bought the Zune HD because the interface is so nice and it support multi-touch. It's also the only device I know of that has FM and HD FM capability.

-Greevar

"Paste superficially profound, but utterly meaningless quotation here."

Re: Zune Hardware Officially Abandoned

I ask the same questions about the Ipod. I prefer to get something less well known that I can put music I actually want on it and not have to re-buy it all if I commit the oh so grave error of changing computers.

Re: Zune Hardware Officially Abandoned

Well don't buy DRM music. I own an iPod and rip music off of CDs onto it. Why people pay to download poor quality compressed music I don't know.

PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm