NBC Universal Target Battlestar Galactica Mods

October 10, 2011 -

According to a report in The Escapist by way of a ModDB post from the Nexus: Battlestar Galactica team, NBC Universal has shut down their mod - as well as 20 or so other mods related to SyFy Networks' popular Battlestar Galactica TV series. From the ModDB post:

"I was shocked and saddened when i got the message from ModDB admins that our mod, the Nexus BSG mod is being pulled due to copyright claims of NBC Universal. This we cannot fight, these are the terms of ModDB, and we are making our projects based on NBCU's intellectual property.

The only way for us to get our projects back on track is for NBCU to authorise us to do so. To make this happen, i would like to ask you to write emails to NBCU, in hopes of someone noticing us, and maybe, starting a dialog with them. To achieve this, my first step was to write an email to Brian Steel, Senior Vice President of Public Relations at NBCU. I know, the chance of him actually reading my email is slim, but we have to try.
"

The post went on to say that the only way the project could continue using the Battlestar Galactica motif would be for NBC Universal to give the team its blessing. Obviously that is an unlikely prospect at this point, and therefore the mod is put on indefinite hold.

Another mod called BSG: Diaspora, a BSG space-combat sim based on the Freespace 2 engine, was also yanked, but the developers vow to fight on with development of the free modification elsewhere.

Source: The Escapist

Posted in

Comments

Re: NBC Universal Target Battlestar Galactica Mods

They should kick up a stink with G4, since it's the same parent company.

It'd be an interesting discussion, anyway.

/b

Re: NBC Universal Target Battlestar Galactica Mods

It's another company failing to realise that it has a fanbase, and trying to do everything it can to destroy it.

Re: NBC Universal Target Battlestar Galactica Mods

Progress once again halted by capitalism(or fascism minor).

---

Patreon

Deviantart

ZippyDSMleeI need one of my 70 games to play....mmmmmmmm05/24/2015 - 9:57am
MattsworknameSpent all night playing blood borne, now trapped in the Nightmare frontier and trying to reach the boss so I can maybe warp out again05/24/2015 - 9:21am
MattsworknameYeah, i got started and then made it through t the first few misions anthen blood borne05/23/2015 - 10:13pm
Goth_SkunkWhich one, Dragon Age?05/23/2015 - 8:20pm
Wonderkarpalso waiting patiently for Batman.05/23/2015 - 7:36pm
MattsworknameIn still trying ot beat that game the first time. Freaking game has so much side questing05/23/2015 - 7:34pm
Goth_SkunkPlaying a third and probably final playthrough of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Once that's done, I'll move on to AC: Unity, most likely, then get caught up on A-list games I have yet to play, like Murdered: Soul Suspect and Shadows of Mordor.05/23/2015 - 6:33pm
MattsworknameIf you own a vita and like monster hunter, but dont like the bs filler that goes with it. Try tokiden kiwmai05/23/2015 - 6:11pm
Matthew Wilsonaparently their servers got crushed, but I dont see the game selling well. Nintendo fans tend not to be fans of competitive fps05/23/2015 - 5:48pm
MattsworknameSPlatton looks intersting, Love the are style, gonna give the game a try with the upcoming test fire05/23/2015 - 4:39pm
PHX Corp@Technogeek, I'm returning for one more Run with the Global testfire05/23/2015 - 3:41pm
WonderkarpI'm bouncing all over the place but right now I'd say I'm playing Super Mario 64 trying to max out the stars. 2 worlds and 2 secret stars to go05/23/2015 - 1:12pm
TechnogeekReminder: Splatoon Global Testfire returns this afternoon/evening.05/23/2015 - 12:45pm
Andrew EisenA bit busy with my 30 Days of Netflix project but I did play through the first world of New Super Mario Bros. 2 at a sushi restaurant last night.05/23/2015 - 10:59am
MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm