NBC Universal Target Battlestar Galactica Mods

October 10, 2011 -

According to a report in The Escapist by way of a ModDB post from the Nexus: Battlestar Galactica team, NBC Universal has shut down their mod - as well as 20 or so other mods related to SyFy Networks' popular Battlestar Galactica TV series. From the ModDB post:

"I was shocked and saddened when i got the message from ModDB admins that our mod, the Nexus BSG mod is being pulled due to copyright claims of NBC Universal. This we cannot fight, these are the terms of ModDB, and we are making our projects based on NBCU's intellectual property.

The only way for us to get our projects back on track is for NBCU to authorise us to do so. To make this happen, i would like to ask you to write emails to NBCU, in hopes of someone noticing us, and maybe, starting a dialog with them. To achieve this, my first step was to write an email to Brian Steel, Senior Vice President of Public Relations at NBCU. I know, the chance of him actually reading my email is slim, but we have to try.
"

The post went on to say that the only way the project could continue using the Battlestar Galactica motif would be for NBC Universal to give the team its blessing. Obviously that is an unlikely prospect at this point, and therefore the mod is put on indefinite hold.

Another mod called BSG: Diaspora, a BSG space-combat sim based on the Freespace 2 engine, was also yanked, but the developers vow to fight on with development of the free modification elsewhere.

Source: The Escapist

Posted in

Comments

Re: NBC Universal Target Battlestar Galactica Mods

They should kick up a stink with G4, since it's the same parent company.

It'd be an interesting discussion, anyway.

/b

Re: NBC Universal Target Battlestar Galactica Mods

It's another company failing to realise that it has a fanbase, and trying to do everything it can to destroy it.

Re: NBC Universal Target Battlestar Galactica Mods

Progress once again halted by capitalism(or fascism minor).

---

Andrew EisenPredominately figurines or swag of all kinds?11/22/2014 - 8:37pm
Andrew EisenI bet there's a lovely comedy of errors surrounding that list's journey to the IGDA's page!11/22/2014 - 6:49pm
Andrew EisenAnd the fact that it was curated by some random person on Twitter should have been another.11/22/2014 - 6:48pm
Andrew EisenYep, it's pretty clear that whoever at the IGDA grabbed that list, didn't look at it first. I think the fact that there's over 10,000 names on it should have been a bit of a red flag.11/22/2014 - 6:44pm
Wonderkarppenguin books is on the list. wow.11/22/2014 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpthats better, though I'd prefer something a little more than a simple tweet, I'll take it.11/22/2014 - 6:37pm
Andrew EisenKate Edwards' Twitter: "like people, tools are imperfect; we've removed it for now."11/22/2014 - 6:35pm
Andrew EisenHard to say with any certainty but it appears it at least understands the tool didn't do what it thought it did.11/22/2014 - 6:34pm
WonderkarpI've yet to find the IGDA responding too the situation other than deleting a link.11/22/2014 - 6:34pm
Matthew WilsonI hope the IGDA understands why its a mistake, that's all I want.11/22/2014 - 6:33pm
Andrew EisenHeh, lawyering up would be grossly overracting! And really silly. Well, if what the IGDA did say was not enough for you, try contacting them and letting them know how you feel.11/22/2014 - 6:31pm
Wonderkarpall I want is an apology from the IGDA. nothing fancy, not even addressed to me. Just something that says, "We messed up. We're Sorry" thats it. Not exactly those words except Sorry. If I was overreacting, I'd be lawyering up.11/22/2014 - 6:29pm
Andrew EisenI get it, I just think you're taking it the wrong way and overreacting.11/22/2014 - 6:27pm
Wonderkarpatleast Matthew understands why I am miffed at that list11/22/2014 - 6:26pm