NBC Universal Target Battlestar Galactica Mods

October 10, 2011 -

According to a report in The Escapist by way of a ModDB post from the Nexus: Battlestar Galactica team, NBC Universal has shut down their mod - as well as 20 or so other mods related to SyFy Networks' popular Battlestar Galactica TV series. From the ModDB post:

"I was shocked and saddened when i got the message from ModDB admins that our mod, the Nexus BSG mod is being pulled due to copyright claims of NBC Universal. This we cannot fight, these are the terms of ModDB, and we are making our projects based on NBCU's intellectual property.

The only way for us to get our projects back on track is for NBCU to authorise us to do so. To make this happen, i would like to ask you to write emails to NBCU, in hopes of someone noticing us, and maybe, starting a dialog with them. To achieve this, my first step was to write an email to Brian Steel, Senior Vice President of Public Relations at NBCU. I know, the chance of him actually reading my email is slim, but we have to try.
"

The post went on to say that the only way the project could continue using the Battlestar Galactica motif would be for NBC Universal to give the team its blessing. Obviously that is an unlikely prospect at this point, and therefore the mod is put on indefinite hold.

Another mod called BSG: Diaspora, a BSG space-combat sim based on the Freespace 2 engine, was also yanked, but the developers vow to fight on with development of the free modification elsewhere.

Source: The Escapist

Posted in

Comments

Re: NBC Universal Target Battlestar Galactica Mods

They should kick up a stink with G4, since it's the same parent company.

It'd be an interesting discussion, anyway.

/b

Re: NBC Universal Target Battlestar Galactica Mods

It's another company failing to realise that it has a fanbase, and trying to do everything it can to destroy it.

Re: NBC Universal Target Battlestar Galactica Mods

Progress once again halted by capitalism(or fascism minor).

---

Patreon

Deviantart

PHX CorpI'll probaly Start the stream around 8PM Eastern08/31/2015 - 10:09pm
PHX Corpand now it's ready to go for everyone08/31/2015 - 9:35pm
Andrew EisenThat's why I embed the chat box from my Twitch Page. Can't get chat on the YouTube page to work either.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Andrew EisenI do but I haven't seen a way to incorporate viewers to chat without specifically inviting them to the event.08/31/2015 - 8:49pm
Goth_SkunkThough I'm surprised you'd not be familiar with this, Andrew. Do you not use Google Hangouts when you do S.P.A.C.?08/31/2015 - 8:45pm
Andrew EisenGP Movie Night!08/31/2015 - 8:41pm
Big PermEveyone should be too busy with phantom pain to notice GP is down. Hail Vidya!08/31/2015 - 8:40pm