Facebook Gaming Not Popular Worldwide

October 11, 2011 -

While it might seem that Facebook is the number one destination in the world for social games, a new report indicates that the social network's dominance may simply be isolated to the North American market.

A new white paper by Viximo indicates that non-Facebook social gaming will represent the majority of worldwide revenue generated in the social gaming market space, expanding from $3.2 billion to $5.6 billion in 2014. The white paper is based on a study by SuperData Research, which also reveals that Asia has the largest social games market in the world, and that non-Facebook platforms in the West will be responsible for 25 percent of worldwide social gaming revenue within the next three years.

"The social web beyond Facebook is often overlooked when it comes to games and applications," said Dale Strang, CEO of Viximo. "As it turns out, social networks beyond Facebook represent a non-trivial – in fact, significant – and fertile ground for games and apps. What we uncovered with this study was just how quickly non-Facebook social gaming is exploding around the world, giving game-makers a terrific opportunity to reach new audiences and generate new revenue."

The white paper notes that Facebook only represents about a third of traffic for social networks worldwide, despite the site's popularity in North America. In markets such as Brazil, Germany, Russia and Turkey a rapid increase in traffic and revenue is underway already for non-Facebook social gaming traffic. Naturally there are important region-specific social networks like Hyves in the Netherlands and Tuenti in Spain that offer a mass-market, localized experience to their audiences. In addition to regional social networks, the white paper highlights that competition from Google+ will give social game developers broader distribution and increased potential for monetization.

Source: IndustryGamers

Image provided by Shutterstock © 2011 joana3d. All rights reserved.

Comments

Re: Facebook Gaming Not Popular Worldwide

It seems like my Hong Kong friends play every Facebook game there is.  You'd think they were all unemployed!

Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm