Sony Still Talking About UMD Download Solution

October 11, 2011 -

In a recent interview with Dengeki PlayStation, Sony Corp.'s Yoshio Matsumoto told the publication that his company is still trying to figure out what it plans to do with consumers who own games on the UMD format as it heads towards its March release of PlayStation Vita. He said that Sony is "looking into" offering UMD owners the chance to re-download their games on the Vita for a special price.

This is not the first time the home office for Sony has talked about how to deal with those who have lots of games on UMD format; last month the company hinted that it was looking into some sort of program to help customers move away from UMD's by offering games for download. This new interview is the first time Sony has mentioned that users might have to pay for it.

It will be interesting to see just how much it will cost consumers to re-download software they already own, and if Sony will even bring this program to the United States.

Source: Kotaku

Image provided by Shutterstock © Barone Firenze 2011. All rights reserved.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Sony Still Talking About UMD Download Solution

With all the Smartphone Gaming talk this service should be 99¢ per title.

Re: Sony Still Talking About UMD Download Solution

I would get behind this.  I would be interested in having a few of my UMD games on the Vita.

Re: Sony Still Talking About UMD Download Solution

Why not just set the price at 5.99 and add all the titles you can to the archive.

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: Sony Still Talking About UMD Download Solution

I'm not keen on paying for my games twice, so it'd better be free, or else Sony's going to have a hard time selling to me.

Poll

Will limiting Steam services to accounts that have spent at least $5 eliminate spammers?:

Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm
Andrew EisenGreat, but that STILL doesn't tell me what she said, why she was attacked (or what the attack was) or what "standard line" she's following. Details, man. Details!04/24/2015 - 3:25pm
Andrew EisenOr what the heck Nina White (someone else I've never heard of) is actually referring to.04/24/2015 - 3:24pm
Matthew Wilson@AE she is a game dev. she used to do stuff with hormanix and now works with https://outact.net/#!/?page_id=2 she will often engage and debate both side.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew Eisen...following.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew EisenYou mean focus on stopping the bad behavior of those who are doing it rather than condemning all the people that associate with them? Great. But I still don't know who Emma Clarkson is, what she said, why she was attacked or what "standard line" she's04/24/2015 - 3:23pm