Sony Still Talking About UMD Download Solution

October 11, 2011 -

In a recent interview with Dengeki PlayStation, Sony Corp.'s Yoshio Matsumoto told the publication that his company is still trying to figure out what it plans to do with consumers who own games on the UMD format as it heads towards its March release of PlayStation Vita. He said that Sony is "looking into" offering UMD owners the chance to re-download their games on the Vita for a special price.

This is not the first time the home office for Sony has talked about how to deal with those who have lots of games on UMD format; last month the company hinted that it was looking into some sort of program to help customers move away from UMD's by offering games for download. This new interview is the first time Sony has mentioned that users might have to pay for it.

It will be interesting to see just how much it will cost consumers to re-download software they already own, and if Sony will even bring this program to the United States.

Source: Kotaku

Image provided by Shutterstock © Barone Firenze 2011. All rights reserved.

Posted in

Comments

Re: Sony Still Talking About UMD Download Solution

With all the Smartphone Gaming talk this service should be 99¢ per title.

Re: Sony Still Talking About UMD Download Solution

I would get behind this.  I would be interested in having a few of my UMD games on the Vita.

Re: Sony Still Talking About UMD Download Solution

Why not just set the price at 5.99 and add all the titles you can to the archive.

---

Re: Sony Still Talking About UMD Download Solution

I'm not keen on paying for my games twice, so it'd better be free, or else Sony's going to have a hard time selling to me.

Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm
ConsterI Was Talking About You Capitalizing The Starting Letter Of Each Word.01/25/2015 - 5:56pm
WonderkarpI didnt know we were talking about Capitalism. What do mass shootings have to do with trade and industry that is controlled by private owners for profit?01/25/2015 - 3:28pm
ConsterYou do realize that what you're doing right now isn't what capitalism means, right?01/25/2015 - 2:39pm
WonderkarpActual Thing, Never Proven :P We All Know That You Dont Need Evidence For Something To Be Real, Huh.01/25/2015 - 9:40am
WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm