Pipeworks Head Resigns Over Military Records

October 12, 2011 -

Robert Daly, who served as the head of Foundation 9 Entertainment's wholly owned studio, Pipeworks, today resigned, after several weeks of criticism over what some former military men were calling faked credentials. Daly became the target of harsh criticism when professionalsoldiers.com obtained his military records from the US's National Personnel Records Center and United States Army Special Operations Command, which showed he was an analyst, rather than a Special Forces soldier - which he publicly claimed to be a member of numerous times.

"I am honoured to have served with the 12th Special Forces Group as an Intelligence Analyst (96B) from 1991 until 1994," said Daly. "While I wore the green beret as part of my uniform, I utterly regret that I have misrepresented my role by creating the impression that I was a Green Beret. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the Green Berets and my fellow servicemen, and I respectfully apologize to the Special Forces community."

"At this point in time for the best interests of Pipeworks Software and F9E I am voluntarily resigning my position of Studio Head of Pipeworks effective immediately. Furthermore I have no plans on appearing in any more episodes of Deadliest Warrior."

Pipeworks is best known for developing the Deadliest Warrior games for Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. The games are based on the popular Spike TV series of the same name, which pits warriors from different eras against each other in hypothetical match-ups using various combat experts from around the world. While Daly says in his statement that his resignation was voluntary, one has to wonder if there might have been some pressure from Spike TV or its parent company to get rid of him and move past the controversy.

Source: GI.biz

Posted in

Comments

Re: Pipeworks Head Resigns Over Military Records

Seems to me that some folks at professionalsoldiers.com have way too much time on their hands. If he wore a green beret and served with 12th Special Forces, he was a Green Beret serving with Special Forces. What's the big deal?

I guess analysts and other support soldiers who wear the green beret aren't worthy, even though without them, the front line soldiers wouldn't be able to do what they do. But clearly the Green Berets are an exclusive club in which some soldiers' green berets aren't green enough. I wonder who will be next to be excluded? First go men like Robert Daly, then go the combat soldiers who were not called to serve in combat, then go the ones who didn't get enough medals. At a certain point, you don't have enough for a two-man conversation.

All I can say is this: if they're going to go after guys like Robert Daly (and we all know they went after him not because they had a legitimate suspicion, but because he doesn't look the part of an ex-Green Beret - he's overweight and he doesn't shave his head or have a prominent tattoo), then I'm glad I'm not part of that club. No one likes a bully.

Sleaker@AE I don't even know what you're trying to say in that tweet.09/01/2014 - 1:28pm
Andrew EisenBy far the most retweeted tweet I've ever tweeted. https://twitter.com/AndrewEisen/status/50617593365333196809/01/2014 - 11:15am
Thomas RiordanNo, certainly not. Anything to prevent that kinda crap.09/01/2014 - 8:18am
SleakerAlthough.. I don't think it hurts anyone if kids think the report is true :P09/01/2014 - 3:26am
Sleakerand just for future reference. National Reports is a fake news site, they decided to remove their disclaimers a while back apparently...09/01/2014 - 3:25am
Thomas RiordanDon't feel bad. I posted the same thing last night and deleted it once I realized it wasn't real.08/31/2014 - 11:13pm
E. Zachary KnightAh. The report actually read serious to me. Oh well. At least it didn't happen.08/31/2014 - 7:46pm
ConsterAlthough apparently someone who was in a swatting ring in Texas took a plea for up to 5 years in July.08/31/2014 - 7:14pm
ConsterProbably because it's a satire site.08/31/2014 - 7:13pm
E. Zachary KnightI agree that the kid should be punished, but the charge and sentence seem a bit overboard to me. http://nationalreport.net/15-year-old-swatted-domestic-terrorism/08/31/2014 - 6:56pm
Andrew EisenI get a "page doesn't exist."08/31/2014 - 11:50am
MaskedPixelantehttps://twitter.com/Nevelets/status/506076879309508608 What we're currently supposed to be offended by, or whatever.08/31/2014 - 10:10am
MechaTama31AE: Probably snarky commentary on this: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2014/08/29/principle-player-leland-yee-arms-trading-case-dies08/30/2014 - 8:43pm
Andrew EisenConster - Don't know. Got a link to whatever you're referring to?08/30/2014 - 7:04pm
ConsterWait, what's this about Leland Yee eliminating witnesses?08/30/2014 - 5:50pm
IanCBroke my EA boycott to pick up Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare. Loving it. Still hate EA though. But i like Popcap. Gah.08/30/2014 - 6:01am
MaskedPixelantehttp://m.tickld.com/x/something-you-never-realized-about-guardians-of-the-galaxy Right in the feels.08/29/2014 - 6:56pm
AvalongodAgain I think we're conflating the issue of whether Sarkeesian's claims are beyond critique (no they're not) and whether its ever appropriate to use sexist language, let alone physical threats on a woman to intimidate her (no it isn't)08/29/2014 - 5:04pm
prh99Trolling her or trying to assail her integrity just draws more attention (Streisand effect?). Which is really not what the trolls want, so the only way to win (if there is a win to be had) is not to play/troll.08/29/2014 - 5:02pm
prh99Who cares, just don't watch the damn videos if you don't like her. Personally, I don't care as far as she is concerned as long there are interesting games to be played.08/29/2014 - 4:34pm