Battlefield 3 to Include Online Pass Code

October 14, 2011 -

DICE has revealed - to no one's surprise - that Battlefield 3 will come with a code needed to play the modern-day warfare game online.

The news was confirmed by DICE designer Alan Kertz on Twitter. His comments were in response to follower questions on the need for an Online Pass code for the company's newest title. He said that the decision to use the system was "because servers cost money, and used games don't make developers any money."

Those who buy a used copy of the game will be able to buy an Online Pass on whatever network they are playing on - PlayStation Network or Xbox Live.

Given that EA has been at the forefront of this code-based method for dealing with used games, no one should be shocked by this news.

Source: MCV

Comments

Re: Battlefield 3 to Include Online Pass Code

DICE
We love you... (But we're sad and disappointed that you sold out to EA)

EA
After experiencing your total failure with hosting Bad Company 2 we all know how totally inept and incompetent you are at hosting, thankyouverymuch... The idea that you are even thinking of capitalizing on this incompetence is so mind-numbingly stupid I'm thinking even courts would agree.

But, tell me... How much Battlefield did 1942 cost to maintain?
What was that? I can't hear you.

This is one BF fan that has had enough, signing off...

Re: Battlefield 3 to Include Online Pass Code

PC users will have to deal with Origin.

Looks like console gamers weren't off the hook either.

Living in Canada is awesome. We enjoy the universal healthcare and gun-free environment of a European country while getting all of our games released at the same time as the US.

Re: Battlefield 3 to Include Online Pass Code

Maybe EA should spend less money on hype, overmarketing and exclusives, and more on retaining a COMPETENT workforce without obscene crunchtimes?

They're already charging PREMIUM price with additional for 0-day, no-content 'dlc'.

Oh wait, I understand..

Of course MW3 and BF3 are going to succeed. The Nugget masses will always pay big bucks for shovelware. This is just maximizing profit and minimizing content.

Re: Battlefield 3 to Include Online Pass Code

DICE,

I won't hold it against you. Me luv you long time... $20.

EA,

Piss off.

Re: Battlefield 3 to Include Online Pass Code

"because servers cost money, and used games don't make developers any money."

True in the technical sense, but logically false. Used games don't make developers money, but servers costing money is irrelevant. A used game doesn't create a new space on the server because someone else sold the game after using it, so they no longer use the server space.

Just be honest, online passes are just attempts at making money off used games for no other reason but to make money.

Re: Battlefield 3 to Include Online Pass Code