Rocksmith Sidelined in Europe by Trademark Dispute

October 14, 2011 -

Ubisoft is facing a trademark complaint filed by a rock band that just happens to have the same name as one of its upcoming products. The claim has forced the company to delay the game in question in Europe and defend itself in court. The French publisher announced this morning that its music game Rocksmith won't be released in Europe until sometime in 2012, citing "music licensing" and "other external factors" as the causes.

But the real reason for the delay is because of a UK-based rock band called Rocksmith (who holds the trademark) has filed a complaint. Rocksmith percussionist Kris Ford told Eurogamer this morning that it wanted to work with Ubisoft but was basically ignored until he filed a complaint against the company with the OHIM, the European Union agency responsible for registering trademarks and designs in the EU.

"I wrote to Ubisoft and said, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I already own the name Rocksmith, and I've just discovered you're planning on launching the game," Ford told Eurogamer. "Instead of messing around getting involved in big legal issues, why don't we do some kind of deal, because obviously I've got the band, you've got the game, the two would work well side-by-side.

"We could promote the game, you could promote the band - we'll even give you some songs to put on there."

"And they just ignored me," Ford said.

When he filed formal opposition against Ubisoft's application for the game, the publisher finally took heed, he claims.

"I couldn't not oppose it," he explained, "because if I let it slip, then I'd miss the boat. So I had to make a formal opposition, which I did do, and lo-and-behold in three days I got a letter from Ubisoft saying, 'Oh, yeah, in response to your earlier letter...' And of course I just laughed because it was obvious that they hadn't responded to my earlier letters, they'd responded to my formal opposition."

Ford alleges that Ubisoft has threatened him with a defamation of character action for comments he's made in the media.

"I'm not quite sure what they mean by that," he admitted. "They were just being bullies I think, because there's nothing I've said that can't be backed up with absolute fact. I've got documents proving that I registered the name."

Ford suspects that the process will be slow and that it could take as long as February of next year before his complaint is addressed. He goes on to say that the ball is Ubisoft's court, and that he's willing to hammer out a deal, but time is not on Ubisoft's side; the longer they take the more it will cost them, he says.

Ubisoft confirmed the complaint and said that it respected the process:

"We confirm that Christopher Ford has filed a complaint regarding our request to trademark the name Rocksmith for a video game," Ubisoft told Eurogamer in a statement. "We respect the rules that the trademark office has set up to handle this kind of issue and will respond accordingly."

Source: Eurogamer

Poll

Will limiting Steam services to accounts that have spent at least $5 eliminate spammers?:

Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm
Andrew EisenGreat, but that STILL doesn't tell me what she said, why she was attacked (or what the attack was) or what "standard line" she's following. Details, man. Details!04/24/2015 - 3:25pm
Andrew EisenOr what the heck Nina White (someone else I've never heard of) is actually referring to.04/24/2015 - 3:24pm
Matthew Wilson@AE she is a game dev. she used to do stuff with hormanix and now works with https://outact.net/#!/?page_id=2 she will often engage and debate both side.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew Eisen...following.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew EisenYou mean focus on stopping the bad behavior of those who are doing it rather than condemning all the people that associate with them? Great. But I still don't know who Emma Clarkson is, what she said, why she was attacked or what "standard line" she's04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Matthew WilsonI think people are coming around to the idea that divide and conqueror might be a more effective method than scorched earth. scorched earth has been tried for 8 months with almost no progress, so its time try something new.04/24/2015 - 3:20pm
Andrew EisenCan you elaborate? I don't know who that is.04/24/2015 - 3:17pm
Matthew Wilsonas I understand just general difference of opinion. for example I have seen Emma Clarkson get attacked becouse she chooses to engage and debate, instead of just fallow the standard line.04/24/2015 - 3:13pm
Andrew Eisen'Cause if it's the latter, that kind of stuff should be shamed.04/24/2015 - 2:47pm
Andrew EisenAnd shaming women for being women or having an opinion or shaming specific women for exhibiting particularly repugnant attitudes or behaviors?04/24/2015 - 2:47pm
Andrew Eisen"Last few days" seems pretty specific. I honestly don't know what he's talking about. I hear that sentiment all the time but I've never actually seen an example of it.04/24/2015 - 2:46pm
Matthew Wilsonjust the general actions on both sides, but in particular those who are anti gg, but using the same tactics of harassment and shaming.04/24/2015 - 2:34pm