Austrian Court Dismisses Charges Related to Islamophobic Web Game

October 17, 2011 -

An Austrian court had found that right-wing Austrian politician Gerhard Kurzmann was not guilty of "incitement" related to a video game that required players to target and stop mosques, minarets and muezzins as they appeared on screen. Alexander Segert, the head of a Swiss advertising company that designed the game was also acquitted by the court.

The game in question is called "Moschee Baba," which means "see ya mosque" in the Austrian German dialect. The game was commissioned as part of a campaign for regional elections last year. When it was posted online last year, it received wide-spread criticism.

On Friday an Austrian judge rejected prosecution arguments that the game was set up like a shooting gallery. The prosecution said that it plans to appeal the ruling.

Gerhard Kurzmann is a central figure in the Freedom Party, which has risen in popularity mostly due to its exploitation of Islamophobia.

Source: Washington Post

Comments

Re: Austrian Court Dismisses Charges Related to Islamophobic ...

This gives me an interesting game idea:  Set it in, say, New York, and use all the normal anti-Islam speech that's been thrown about lately to urge the player to stop the "flood" of mosques being created.  The player needs to click on each new mosque on the map in order to stop it.

Then show on the map symbols of *all* faiths in amounts matching the actual real-life amounts of their respective places of worship.  Maybe make the symbols get added slowly to the map in proportional amounts, with newer symbols overlapping old, and then crank up the speed as time passes.  I haven't looked at actual numbers yet, but from a few (admittedly unverified) google maps searches for proof-of-concept I'm fairly confident it would quickly become rather difficult.

Poll

Will Code Avarice's Paranautical Activity make its way back onto Steam?:

Matthew Wilsonubisoft is made to look worse now. wiiu smash is 1080p 60fps lol10/23/2014 - 5:02pm
MonteYou would think that, if GG were really about journalistic ethics, their streams would be more conerned with Shadows of mordor(a REAL controversy involing a major publisher) than with the FALSE jounralistic controversy around Quinn10/23/2014 - 4:49pm
Andrew EisenHope so.10/23/2014 - 4:45pm
Matthew Wilson@ae they may not be able to fix the capture card issue, but hopefuly they can fix the frame rate issue10/23/2014 - 4:31pm
james_fudgeso IDK10/23/2014 - 4:27pm
james_fudgeGuys I sat through a GG stream for two hours. All they talked about was ZQ. We said we were on GJP in the chat and they didn't care.10/23/2014 - 4:27pm
Andrew EisenHopefully I can find some more time.10/23/2014 - 4:26pm
Andrew EisenI'm pretty much out of time to troubleshoot this too. I won't be home until very late and the stream's Saturday.10/23/2014 - 4:19pm
Andrew EisenI guess not, although I did ask and they confirmed that they're not yet supporting my capture hardware.10/23/2014 - 4:18pm
Matthew Wilsonit wouldnt hurt to ask though10/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Andrew EisenThe problem doesn't seem to be OBS specifically, I can't get anything to work.10/23/2014 - 4:16pm
Matthew Wilsonobs has a support irc if you want help10/23/2014 - 4:15pm
Andrew EisenWhat gets me is this worked fine last year. Same PC, same capture hardware, same broadcaster.10/23/2014 - 3:58pm
Andrew EisenWish I knew where the problem was so I could fix it.10/23/2014 - 3:55pm
Andrew EisenMaybe the fact that TWC throttles my upload speed to 1 Mbps is why I've been having so much difficulty live streaming. Then again, the podcast works fine.10/23/2014 - 3:52pm
PHX Corp@Neo_DrKefka @quiknkold agreed, I think everyone needs to just STFU and play Video Games. If the behavior(between #GG and #SGG2014) continues, it's going to eventually affect the Videogame industry negatively(Lost Sales, etc.)10/23/2014 - 3:50pm
Neo_DrKefkaIn a #GamerGate Stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd-BahVyFYQ they are too busy talking about Brianna's Wu appearance rather than her actions. Oh god our movement has become less and less about solutions and how can we can resolve these problems.10/23/2014 - 3:28pm
quiknkoldThese people are Arms Dealers selling weapons to both sides of this war, and I feel the only way anything will change is if everybody just stops. CTFO and play games.10/23/2014 - 3:28pm
quiknkoldI'm not specifically Targeting the Gamergate people on this. But There is one or two sick Freaks out there who get their jollys on this, and they are fueled by the war they are making worse.10/23/2014 - 3:27pm
prh99How much longer can the charade continue, the extremists have driven out the majority of people that thought it was about ethics. All that's left are the hooligans.10/23/2014 - 3:25pm