Blizzard Reiterates Stance on Valve's DOTA Trademark Plans

October 24, 2011 -

In an interview that took place at BlizzCon over the weekend, Blizzard President Mike Morhaime reiterated to Eurogamer his company's stance on Valve Software’s attempts to trademark the term "DOTA." Valve has made a move to try and trademark the name of the wildly popular Warcraft 3 modification, much to the chagrin of several companies - including Blizzard Entertainment and League Legends maker Riot Games - as well as the DOTA community at large.

Blizzard is also developing a DOTA modification for StarCraft 2 called Blizzard DOTA, which it showed off a little during BlizzCon over the weekend.

When asked if Blizzard was in talks with Valve over the issue, Morhaime told Eurogamer that he had little comment on the matter other than to say "we're very friendly with Valve. So yeah, we do talk to Valve."

But he went on to add that the stance outlined by Blizzard's Rob Pardo at last year's BlizzCon has not changed.

"I can share that our opinion about the situation is that the DOTA name really should belong to the community. I think that it's been part of the Warcraft 3 community for a very long time, and we would like to see the community continue being able to use that name, and having an exclusive mark owned by a competitor doesn't feel right to us."

Hopefully this doesn't lead to a massive lawsuit of some kind...

Source: Eurogamer