Research: Aggressive Children Enjoy Violent Games

October 24, 2011 -

A new study conducted by academics from two German universities says that "aggressive children" ages 8 - 12 years-old have a preference for violent video games.

The study found that the games preferred by problem boys and girls who were identified as "at-risk" were also more violent than those of their less-troublesome peers. The research suggested there is a risk that the preference for violent video games would become entrenched in these children. Researchers also said that they found no evidence that violent computer and video games led to increased aggression in real life. The study also showed that aggressive primary school pupils preferred games which contained blood or violence.

"This is the good news from our study into the educational effects of media," said Jens Vogelgesang of Hohenheim University. "But it should be noted that this applies expressly only to the group of 8-to-12 year olds that we looked into in a study on the effects."

"We are unable to rule out the possibility that an entrenched preference for violent computer and video games might over the course of a game-playing career lead to greater readiness to commit acts of violence," said research team leader Maria von Salisch.

"Less aggressive pupils certainly also experiment with violent games, but they more rarely develop a preference for this kind of game," said Vogelgesang.

Around 91 percent of 8-to-12 year olds indicated they had at least one favorite game. In the second sampling after a year, there were often completely different games at the top of the list of preferences.

"Most children start out by trying out different types and then over the course of time develop a preference for a particular game or type of game," said Von Salisch.

Source: Monsters & Critics

Image provide by Shutterstock. © 2011 KUCO. All rights reserved.

Comments

Re: Research: Aggressive Children Enjoy Violent Games

See, I knew ice cream sales didn't cause shark attacks, shark attacks cause ice cream sales. And cancer causes cell phones (reference XKCD).

Re: Research: Aggressive Children Enjoy Violent Games

This news just in, pollution damages our air, and according to recent studies, air is good.

Re: Research: Aggressive Children Enjoy Violent Games

Gee........ overactive kids like activity..... ya think?

---

Goth_Skunk@Cheater: If I were an Australian consumer, there's no way I'd be returning it.01/26/2015 - 10:43pm
Cheater87Ooops http://stevivor.com/2015/01/ps4-copies-saints-row-iv-re-elected-undergoing-product-recall-australia/01/26/2015 - 10:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, well I've passed the request along.01/26/2015 - 9:03pm
ZippyDSMleeI loath itunes..........01/26/2015 - 9:02pm
Goth_SkunkUNLESS you haven't downloaded the most 3 recent episodes. Then it cancels your subscription automatically.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Goth_Skunk@AE: No. iTunes instead just downloads it automatically, provided you've set it up to do so in your preferences.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Andrew EisenAnyone know if iTunes sends email notifications when there's a new episode of a podcast you're subscribed to?01/26/2015 - 8:30pm
ZippyDSMleeAck!! Sorry lack of spell checker means I more incoherent than ever :P, Sign up for email notification thing for the pod cast. Probly more trouble than its worth, I guess I will have to check the site more often ><01/26/2015 - 8:22pm
Andrew EisenWhat is a "sign u email thing"? We provide a direct download link to the show every week. The video version is on my YouTube channel. You can use our RSS feed to add it to a news reader. You can also subscribe to the show on iTunes.01/26/2015 - 6:48pm
ZippyDSMleeMmm you guys ever thought about doing a sign u email thing for the pod cast? If I can click a direct link to downlaod it to toss in all daily podcast listening I might listen to it more than randomly forgtting its on here 0-o01/26/2015 - 6:37pm
prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm
WonderkarpMy Ipad likes to capitalize every word when I'm on game politics.01/25/2015 - 6:29pm