Netflix Loses 800k Subscribers, Game Rentals Still Up in the Air

October 25, 2011 -

Netflix has had a rough couple of months.  Investors and customers alike have reacted negatively to the company’s recent price hikes and it’s Qwikster announcement was so unpopular that it canned the whole thing mere weeks later.

"The last few months...have been difficult for shareholders, employees, and most unfortunately, many members of Netflix," wrote Netflix CEO Reed Hastings in a letter to shareholders. "We've hurt our hard-earned reputation, and stalled our domestic growth."

Indeed, Netflix lost 800,000 subscribers in the U.S. last quarter and expects to lose more by the end of December.  The company had a total of 23.8 million subscribers as of Sept. 30th with around 21.5 million customers having streaming subscriptions and just under 14 million having DVD subscriptions (most customers have both).  Netflix expects those numbers to drop to around 20 – 21.5 million streaming customers and 11.3 million DVD subscribers.

Hastings also warned shareholders that it will be unprofitable in upcoming quarters due partially to the costs involved with its service expansion into the UK and Ireland.

But what about game rentals?  It’s still unclear whether Netflix’s plans to offer console games in addition to movies died with Qwikster.

"We have yet to decide whether or not to offer video game discs," CEO Reed Hastings told Gamasutra. "The decision will have little financial impact either way."

Sources: CNN and Gamasutra

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics Contributing Editor Andrew Eisen

Comments

Re: Netflix Loses 800k Subscribers, Game Rentals Still Up in ...

Netflix has a choice do a rollback or stagnant and die its funny because this all goes back to Netflix trying to buy the rights to one of Kevin Spacey's new shows yet they didn't want to share with anyone else but yet they wanted to stream other studios content...

So movie studios wanted a raise and now Netflix wants to do more Kevin Spacey shoes and so they have the nerve to raise the price again and look what happened.

Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm