President Obama's Political Campaign Pick Riles Activist Groups

October 25, 2011 -

Environmental groups and open Internet activists are not happy with President Barack Obama's pick to lead his 2012 political campaign. That is probably because the president has picked a lobbyist that represented the NBC Universal / Comcast merger and the Keystone XL pipeline. The lobbyist in question is Broderick Johnson of the lobbying firm Bryan Cave LLP. According to U.S. House of Representatives records, Johnson lobbied our elected officials to “support submission of a presidential permit for Keystone XL pipeline” in the final quarter of 2010.

"President Obama ran for office in 2008 promising that the days of lobbyists setting the agenda in Washington were over, yet now he’s hired a top oil pipeline lobbyist into his campaign,” Friends of the Earth campaigner Kim Huyn said in a statement. “This is a deeply troubling development. A lobbyist who has taken corporate cash to shill for this dirty and dangerous pipeline now has even more opportunity to whisper into the President’s ear."

On Oct. 6, Friends of the Earth and the Center for International Environmental Law and Corporate Ethics International amended a Freedom of Information Act request to include a request for State Department documents involving Johnson and other pipeline lobbyists. Johnson's employer Bryan Cave earned more than $1 million from 2009-2011 from lobbying on behalf of TransCanada.

Johnson also pushed Comcast’s plan to merge with NBC Universal at the Federal Communications Commission. Brian Cave LLP received earned at least $440,000 in lobbying income from Comcast from 2009-2011, according to data from the Center for Responsive Politics. Johnson is listed on the House disclosure forms throughout that period.

The Comcast merger was approved in early 2011. Later that year, Comcast hired FCC Commissioner Meredith Attwell Baker as the new Comcast vice president for government affairs. Attwell strongly supported the merger.

While activists might be upset that Johnson is playing a key role in the president's re-election campaign, it should be noted that he worked for the campaign during the 2008 election and also served as a deputy assistant to the President for legislative affairs in the Clinton White House.

Source: Minesotta Independent

Image provided by Shutterstock. All rights reserved.

Comments

Re: President Obama's Political Campaign Pick Riles Activist ...

This entire move deeply hurts me. I've been an ardent supporter of the President since his campaign. I have a framed poster of him above my computer and I couldn't be more disappointed.

The Keystone XL pipeline bothers me more than the Comcast/NBC Universal merger ever could. I'm from Kansas and Nebraska and that pipeline was going to be built on my families ranch in Nebraska. They tried to buy it from us and even had some sleezy politicians try to claim imminent domain, but so far we've held out.

The Ogallala Aquifer runs through our land and is so close to the surface that if you dig a post hole you will reach water. If there had been an accident and oil had seeped into the aquifer, it would have destroyed every farmer in Nebraska and Kansas. I've never been able to decide which one is more of a home, but the idea of seeing both destroyed because a pipe leaked on my families land crushes my soul. Both my family and my fiance's family would be ruined.

The merger bothers the gamer in me, but the pipeline pisses me the **** off.

-----------------------------------------

Managing Editor at TheBestGameSiteEver.com

WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am
Goth_Skunk@WonderKarp: *fistbump*01/24/2015 - 12:00am
ZippyDSMleeIts like they took the fiction from soemthing else and tried to impose it on the Turok IP 0-o01/23/2015 - 10:14pm
ZippyDSMleeuhg I mean they did not need the dumb story and needed more unreal crazy combat.01/23/2015 - 10:13pm
ZippyDSMleestyle gameplay not generic shooter stuff.01/23/2015 - 10:11pm
ZippyDSMleeI loved what they were trying to go with in 3 but it was rather messed up and buggy. Evolution is a typical corridor shooter of the time. The newer Turok is half right they just needed the non-super realistic grim dark story and more crazy Unreal style ga01/23/2015 - 10:11pm
Wonderkarpshe going to do a video on how America Bombed Japan Back To Traditional Values Next? Or one on how Toxic Masculinity in Culture causes Shootings?01/23/2015 - 10:10pm