CRTC Moves Rogers Investigation to Enforcement Division

October 28, 2011 -

Jason Koblovsky's blog reports that the Canadian Gamers Organization’s (CGO) current battle against ISP Rogers has had some good fortune this week. The CRTC sent a letter to the CGO this week stating that its complaint against Rogers limiting access to online games would be moved to its enforcement division for further action. Though the exact nature of the penalty Rogers could face is unknown, the CGO and pro-Internet organization OpenMedia.ca said that they are glad to see the CRTC finally recognize that the company has been breaking rules and restricting online choice.

OpenMedia.ca has repeatedly argued that the CRTC’s inability to properly examine and enforce its Internet openness rules is a serious problem. While both groups hope the Enforcement Division does its job effectively, they note that the agency does not have the ability to penalize offenders financially. They wonder how the CRTC will force Rogers to comply with any orders they might issue.

"Earlier this week, Rogers told the CBC that it is within full compliance with CRTC policy and guidelines," said CGO co-founder Jason Koblovsky. "We are now certain that’s not the case."

“In violating these rules, Rogers has shown that it values its own narrow commercial interests over that of its customers and Canada's digital economy,” adds Steve Anderson, OpenMedia.ca’s Executive Director. “Big Telecom is out of control and they need to be reined in before they damage our innovation economy further.”

For more information on Internet openness in Canada, check out openmedia.ca/saveournet. For more information on CGO, check out openmedia.ca/gamers.

Goth_SkunkThanks E-Zeek.05/22/2015 - 5:09pm