Common Sense Media: 17 Percent of Children Ages 5 to 8 Game Every Day

October 31, 2011 -

Children's Advocacy Group Common Sense Media has released a new survey of parents (conducted by Knowledge Networks) that shows 17 percent of five to eight-year-olds game every day, while 81 percent have played games during their lifetime. That number drops to 51 percent when parents of the entire group (from birth to eight-years-old) were asked the same question.

The survey found that around 74 percent of children's screen time is predominantly spent watching television, compared to 10 percent with video games and 13 percent using a home computer.

Around 67 percent owned a home console, with 24 percent owning a handheld gaming device, and 29 percent owning an educational gaming device.

The study, which polled 1,384 parents in the United States, also saw a difference in the habits of boys and girls. Boys (56 percent) were more likely to play video games than girls (46 percent), have a video game player in their bedroom (14 percent for boys vs. 7 percent for girls), and to play console video games every day (14 percent for boys vs. 5 percent for girls).

Source: Common Sense Media by way of GI.biz

Image provided by Shutterstock.com. All rights reserved.

Comments

Re: Common Sense Media: 17 Percent of Children Ages 5 to 8 ...

So a good bit less than a quarter of them?  I think that CSM is just pissy that they don't get to micromanage 100% of everyone's children.

Poll

How do you feel about microtransactions in $60 video games?:

Big PermAlso, yes. I've been spamming the shoutbox. I don't have much going on today, don't judge me08/28/2015 - 3:25pm
Big PermThanks, but yeah. Not sure I wanna drop that kind of cash :P I don't even mind the sound quality of my krakens, it just hurts to wear em after a couple hours.08/28/2015 - 3:25pm
Sora-Chan@Big Perm: I'm a bit of a fan of the Omega Recon3D headset from SoundBlaster. Though it is a bit expensive.08/28/2015 - 2:36pm
Big PermI actually need to look into a new headset. I have those green razer krakens and I would not suggest them. Though maybe they're better for people without glasses08/28/2015 - 11:32am
Big PermI've never heard if Apple was dominant in Japan.08/28/2015 - 11:25am
E. Zachary KnightBeats by Dre? If music videos are anything to go by, they are the only headphones in existence.08/28/2015 - 11:21am
Big PermI wonder what kind of headphones she has08/28/2015 - 11:13am
Andrew EisenMy favorite fighter character/costume of late is Lucky Chloe from Tekken 7.08/28/2015 - 10:59am
Big PermYou might be right, Zippy08/28/2015 - 9:21am
ZippyDSMleeBig Perm: Naw best ever goes to kill la kill!08/28/2015 - 9:14am
Big PermHer costume is amazing. It may be the best costume ever08/28/2015 - 8:30am
E. Zachary KnightLike I said, she looks like a fun character to play, but her costume is really obnoxious.08/28/2015 - 8:29am
MattsworknameMika was always about being a show off and using her but to crush her foes, even back in the alpha days. They just took that and maxed it to the extreme, and I LOVE IT!!!!!08/28/2015 - 5:36am
IvresseJust saw R Mika trailer myself. I do like the inclusion of Vega as the punching bag, especially with that Stone Cold Stunner knocking his mask off....but that ultra move with his face between 4 buttcheeks...class! :-)08/28/2015 - 5:20am
MattsworknameOk, finally got a chance to look at the R mika trailer for SF 5, and I Heart her so bloody much. She just looks like pure fun to play as and is SO colorful. All the YES!08/28/2015 - 3:23am
PHX Corphttp://www.gamnesia.com/news/sony-is-disabling-users-from-archiving-their-ps4-livestreams-of-until-dawn Sony is Disabling Users from Archiving Their PS4 Livestreams of Until Dawn08/27/2015 - 8:47pm
MattsworknameAndrew: SOrry I didnt get back, i went to bed before I saw your post. The Producer is listed as Arbitor36508/27/2015 - 6:06pm
Andrew EisenNope.08/27/2015 - 4:17pm
ZippyDSMleeDid you guys cover Fatal Frame 5 being nintendo Eshop only?08/27/2015 - 3:55pm
Big Perm120 bucks for a tetanus shot. Thanks Obama08/27/2015 - 3:01pm