Common Sense Media: 17 Percent of Children Ages 5 to 8 Game Every Day

October 31, 2011 -

Children's Advocacy Group Common Sense Media has released a new survey of parents (conducted by Knowledge Networks) that shows 17 percent of five to eight-year-olds game every day, while 81 percent have played games during their lifetime. That number drops to 51 percent when parents of the entire group (from birth to eight-years-old) were asked the same question.

The survey found that around 74 percent of children's screen time is predominantly spent watching television, compared to 10 percent with video games and 13 percent using a home computer.

Around 67 percent owned a home console, with 24 percent owning a handheld gaming device, and 29 percent owning an educational gaming device.

The study, which polled 1,384 parents in the United States, also saw a difference in the habits of boys and girls. Boys (56 percent) were more likely to play video games than girls (46 percent), have a video game player in their bedroom (14 percent for boys vs. 7 percent for girls), and to play console video games every day (14 percent for boys vs. 5 percent for girls).

Source: Common Sense Media by way of GI.biz

Image provided by Shutterstock.com. All rights reserved.

Comments

Re: Common Sense Media: 17 Percent of Children Ages 5 to 8 ...

So a good bit less than a quarter of them?  I think that CSM is just pissy that they don't get to micromanage 100% of everyone's children.

MattsworknameIvresse, if you weren't doing that already, you haven't been paying attention the last 5 years.05/06/2015 - 5:09am
IvresseRegarding EA, they can give all the estimates they want. However if they then pull a Square Enix and classify it as a failure when they sell 4-5 million copies, then frankly that's when I start questioning EA's decisions...05/06/2015 - 3:18am
MattsworknameAlso, on a less angry note, who here is playing blood borne. I get the impresion the next 5 to 6 months of my life are gonna go to this game.05/06/2015 - 1:39am
Mattsworknameacting like this.05/06/2015 - 1:25am
MattsworknameIm sorry, but at this point, Im so sick of the whole Feminist/anti feminsit insanity that i'll just say this. The radical parts of both groups have gone BATSHIT. Radicl feminists have no place in polite socity, radicl MRAs same deal. Screw the both them05/06/2015 - 1:25am
E. Zachary KnightSpoilers contained inside, but this is a great look at Black Widow's characterisation in Avengers. http://io9.com/black-widow-this-is-why-we-can-t-have-nice-things-170233303705/05/2015 - 9:57pm
WonderkarpWithout losing P.T.. Which is an awesome game.05/05/2015 - 9:04pm
WonderkarpDamnit. Not only is the P.T. Demo leaving the PSN, you also cant Redownload it! Meaning if you Delete it, its gone. http://nichegamer.com/2015/05/you-better-keep-that-silent-hills-demo-installed-you-cant-re-download-it/ Now I cant upgrade my HD05/05/2015 - 9:04pm
MattsworknameIm actaully glad to see anita doing posistive videos, I had lots of issues with her older FF stuff, but her more recent stuff is alot better and more of what I want to see, positive female charecters getting praised.05/05/2015 - 6:01pm
WonderkarpThat is one hell of a prediction from EA. I dont know if it'll hit that, but still...Battlefront...though a crippled battlefront. few games I can imagine could hit that salesnumber. Battlefront is one of them.05/05/2015 - 5:52pm
MechaCrashI wonder how much of the game they'll hold back as DLC.05/05/2015 - 5:51pm
Andrew EisenI wonder if development went so over budget that EA HAS to announce such a lofty estimate.05/05/2015 - 5:49pm
Andrew EisenYeah, best of luck and all but that strikes me as a gross overestimate.05/05/2015 - 5:47pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/05/05/star-wars-battlefront-sales-figures-predictions/ EA its nuts. there is no way it sells 10 million copies. I will buy that game, but come on.05/05/2015 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp Sega would have to make somethign worthwhile tho....05/05/2015 - 5:41pm
Matthew Wilson@wond dont forget creative assembly. sega still has a big pc part.05/05/2015 - 5:11pm
WonderkarpI saw that. I feel like Sega is on the verge of just becoming 100% Atlus. Atlus is selling like crazy and the buzz for Persona 5 is high. Especially in my house05/05/2015 - 4:58pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/05/for-first-time-ever-sega-wont-have-a-booth-at-e3/ sega is not having a both at e3 this year. yet another Japanese developer pulling back.05/05/2015 - 4:44pm
Andrew EisenSorry, got pulled away. To expand on that, I believe the NX is much too far away for Nintendo to delay Zelda until its launch.05/05/2015 - 4:39pm
Andrew EisenNo.05/05/2015 - 4:16pm