EA under Fire in Germany over Origin, Battlefield 3

November 1, 2011 -

Overclock.net has gathered an avalanche of stories related to how Battlefield 3 and Origin are being received in Germany (thanks to Solarian for tip). The short answer is that Germans seem to hate it because of the company's terms of service and what Origin is doing on people's PCs.

The first article in German gaming magazine GameStar features an analysis of the ToS by a German lawyer, who says that it enables EA to gather all kinds of information on the computer for some vague use. They call this a "massive privacy violation."

Another damning bit of information comes from the Amazon forums, where a user shows off a YouTube video of Origin accessing programs it shouldn't. The video maker claims that Origin accessed a tax management program and their cellphone management software. They found this by using a process monitor. That video can be found here. Naturally this is not helping the game's rating on Amazon's German site.

Another story linked by Overclock.net says that German retailer Media Markt/Saturn is accepting opened returns of the game at its retail outlets.

The print media is even getting on the bandwagon; Lübecker Zeitung ran a story recently with the headline, "Datatrap in new shootergame." "Games giant wants to spy on customers" is a recent headline of weekly newspaper Der Spiegel. Finally, if you understand German, this news report will be of interest. So far, EA has not publicly commented on this raft of stories about Origin.

We'll have more on this story as it develops. In the interim, check out Overclock.net's exhuastive list of news stories, forums posts, and online petitions for more details.

Comments

Re: EA under Fire in Germany over Origin, Battlefield 3

One more reason why Origin will never be on my computer.  EA, hurry up and put your games back on Steam.  That is, unless you don't want my money...

Re: EA under Fire in Germany over Origin, Battlefield 3

Really Germany, YOU'RE worried about big gaming companies spying? Okay... http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111031/13205016572/germany-to-put-spe... Fucking hypocrites.

-------

"WARNING GUARANTEE: This post contains material which a truly free society would neither fear nor suppress."

Re: EA under Fire in Germany over Origin, Battlefield 3

These are German gamers and German game news outlets.

NOT the German government.

Learn the friggin' difference, and bear in mind that they're probably not happy about EITHER arrangement- this one just happens to be in focus because it's the most recent.

Andrew EisenHow many people do you think will return their copy for a censored version of the game? My money is on zero.01/27/2015 - 12:47am
Goth_Skunk@Cheater: If I were an Australian consumer, there's no way I'd be returning it.01/26/2015 - 10:43pm
Cheater87Ooops http://stevivor.com/2015/01/ps4-copies-saints-row-iv-re-elected-undergoing-product-recall-australia/01/26/2015 - 10:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, well I've passed the request along.01/26/2015 - 9:03pm
ZippyDSMleeI loath itunes..........01/26/2015 - 9:02pm
Goth_SkunkUNLESS you haven't downloaded the most 3 recent episodes. Then it cancels your subscription automatically.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Goth_Skunk@AE: No. iTunes instead just downloads it automatically, provided you've set it up to do so in your preferences.01/26/2015 - 8:56pm
Andrew EisenAnyone know if iTunes sends email notifications when there's a new episode of a podcast you're subscribed to?01/26/2015 - 8:30pm
ZippyDSMleeAck!! Sorry lack of spell checker means I more incoherent than ever :P, Sign up for email notification thing for the pod cast. Probly more trouble than its worth, I guess I will have to check the site more often ><01/26/2015 - 8:22pm
Andrew EisenWhat is a "sign u email thing"? We provide a direct download link to the show every week. The video version is on my YouTube channel. You can use our RSS feed to add it to a news reader. You can also subscribe to the show on iTunes.01/26/2015 - 6:48pm
ZippyDSMleeMmm you guys ever thought about doing a sign u email thing for the pod cast? If I can click a direct link to downlaod it to toss in all daily podcast listening I might listen to it more than randomly forgtting its on here 0-o01/26/2015 - 6:37pm
prh99Too much time listening to Faux News and Bill Mahr.01/26/2015 - 5:12pm
james_fudgeit's bad pr for the bus company01/26/2015 - 5:10pm
Andrew EisenI'm sure the ones who purchased the ads are a bit peeved but I find my sympathies lacking. I have to wonder why the bus line would buy such ads in the first place. Hard to imagine it doesn't have policies against that stuff.01/26/2015 - 5:07pm
Wonderkarpthats cute. I Like Ms Marvel(hate her powerset). Whomever is doing this? Good Job01/26/2015 - 4:49pm
E. Zachary KnightHahahahahahaha! http://toybox.io9.com/islamaphobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco-are-being-defaced-1681857271/+charliejane01/26/2015 - 4:24pm
WonderkarpI saw that. Celebrity wing.01/26/2015 - 3:00pm
BearDogg-XArnold Schwarzenegger is being inducted into WWE Hall of Fame, reports TMZ.01/26/2015 - 11:56am
Wonderkarpyou're weird01/25/2015 - 11:23pm