Good Samaritan Killed Trying to Thwart Robbery

November 1, 2011 -

TV Station KTLA reports on a tragedy that resulted from one man trying to stop a theft. Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies have arrested four teenagers as a result. The boys were arrested after a fight over a DS ended in a shooting that wounded one teen and killed an unnamed 29-year-old male. The shooting occurred just after 3:00 p.m. Monday at a shopping center where a teen met with four other teen boys to sell a Nintendo DS game system.

According to police, the boys had no intention of buying anything - they planned to rob him. When they tried, a fight broke out and one of the four robbers pulled out a gun. An unidentified man, who police are calling a Good Samaritan, tried to break up the fight armed with a baseball bat. The boy with the gun shot him in the torso and the owner of the DS in the thigh as he tried to flee.

The four suspects - males between the ages of 13 and 16 - have been arrested and are facing charges of robbery and murder.

Police said the man who tried to thwart the robbery was a 29-year-old Hispanic male, but did not divulge his identity. The DS seller was treated for non-threatening injuries at a nearby hospital. Detectives are asking anyone with information to call the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station at 661-255-1121.

Thanks to Andrew Eisen for the tip.

Source: KTLA by way of Kotaku. Image via KTLA.

Comments

Re: Good Samaritan Killed Trying to Thwart Robbery

Would you trade one DS for one count of attempted murder and one count of felony murder? Is a DS really worth that much? Morons.

Re: Good Samaritan Killed Trying to Thwart Robbery

Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm