Pirate Party Excluded from Gamex

November 7, 2011 -

Sweden's Pirate Party had hoped to attend this year's Gamex game convention and had already laid the ground work to be there, but it looks like the political group was officially uninvited by organizers. Gamex is one of Sweden's biggest gaming events featuring exhibitions from all the big names in gaming including Activision, Electronic Arts, Microsoft and Nintendo. The event took place over the weekend.

“The Pirate Party would have been in place inside the show, but now we will not be,” said Pirate Party leader Anna Troberg over the weekend. “We are simply no longer welcome.”

Troberg claims that sales people from the event encouraged them to attend "for months." After some discussions with event organizers they decided to book and pay for a booth. They also agreed to a package of advertising and hotel rooms. But late last week just before the event was due to start, the Pirate Party received some surprising news.

"On Tuesday afternoon, I called a representative of the show with a few simple practical questions, but she seemed generally stressed out and said something vague about the show and not wanting any problems before she hung up," says Troberg. "I thought it was a bit strange, but in the afternoon, the pieces fell into place when the fair manager, Bear Wengse, phoned me and kindly, but firmly, announced that the Pirate Party was no longer welcome at the fair."

According to Troberg's recollection of the phone conversation Wengse told her that the exhibition is "a meeting place and not a venue for political conflict." He went on to say that the party’s presence at the event could cause problems, particularly since some of their work could be perceived as "criminal."

Troberg said that she countered with the argument that, as a political party, the Pirate Party only wanted to change certain laws democratically, and that could not be considered a crime. Despite the argument, Wengse hold firm.

Apparently not all political parties were banned from the event. According to TorrentFreak, the Swedish Social Democratic Youth League (SSU) was allowed to appear – even though they also support the decriminalization of non-commercial file sharing.

Despite the exclusion, Troberg remained upbeat because the ban from the event brought even more attention to the political party. Rick Falkvinge, the founder of the first Pirate Party is also taking it in stride.

"I find it absolutely hilarious that a gaming fair banned the Pirate Party on the official pretext that ‘our culture is harmful to gaming’," Rick Falkvinge, founder of the first Pirate Party, told TorrentFreak. "A decade down the road, people will just shake their heads at that. What else can you do, really?"

Source: TorrentFreak

Comments

Re: Pirate Party Excluded from Gamex

So basically they 'avoided conflict' by assuring only the people with deep pocket's view was represented?

I wonder if the party could get them for breech of contract, esp is money was already spent on arrangements....

Poll

Have you visited a video game arcade in the last year?:

james_fudgeThere aren't many left in America08/21/2014 - 1:50am
MechaTama31I sure have. Dorky's barcade in Tacoma, WA.08/20/2014 - 5:56pm
Matthew WilsonI have not been to a arcade in years. I know arcades are still big in japan.08/20/2014 - 5:38pm
Sleaker@AE - Ah no it's called GroundKontrol - I was just referring to it as a Bar-Arcade.08/20/2014 - 4:39pm
Andrew EisenStill looking for confirmation that High Moon Studios (dev behind the PS3/360 versions) isn't working on it.08/20/2014 - 4:38pm
ZenGotcha.08/20/2014 - 4:37pm
Andrew EisenI already updated the story with it!08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
Zenhttp://www.gonintendo.com/s/235574-treyarch-isn-t-working-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-for-wii-u-either08/20/2014 - 4:36pm
ZenLet me send the link for the Tweet as well...they state Treyarch is not working on it. Grabbing it now.08/20/2014 - 4:34pm
Andrew EisenWhere does it say that "NO dev is working on it"?08/20/2014 - 4:33pm
ZenHere's the link for my last comment: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/20/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-not-coming-to-wii-u08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
ZenWell, Call of Duty is skipping Wii U completely it seems...they updated that NO dev is working on it. Great way to just skip a market.08/20/2014 - 4:24pm
Andrew EisenYeah, Dave and Busters back in 2011 was the last time for me.08/20/2014 - 4:16pm
ZenWell, I tried lol. We just got a Dave and Busters on the beach but haven't been there yet...may go this weekend.08/20/2014 - 3:52pm
Andrew EisenIt's called The Bar-Arcade? Missed opportunity. I would have gone with Barcade.08/20/2014 - 3:25pm
SleakerThe Bar-Arcade however did have a lot of good pinball machines, they were however always taken as the place was packed..08/20/2014 - 1:17pm
Sleakerso I've been to an Arcade-Bar, not that great of a place has some okay machines, but generally over-packed. And then all the kid-friendly ones have is ticket-games nothing actually good unfortunately :(08/20/2014 - 1:14pm
Andrew EisenIf it has an area dedicated to arcade machines, I'd say it counts. Arcade machine in your house though, nope.08/20/2014 - 12:16pm
ZenDoes it count if you have actual arcade machines in your house?08/20/2014 - 12:01pm
E. Zachary KnightWith the current poll, I guess it all depends on how one defines "arcade". If Chuck E Cheese or similar multipurpose businesses count, then that is a yes for me.08/20/2014 - 11:59am