PlayStation Vita UMD 'Transfer' Pricing Revealed for Japan

November 11, 2011 -

With the pending release of PlayStation Vita in Japan, Sony has finally revealed how owners of UMD-based games will be able to get digital versions of them on their new PlayStation hand-held devices. All games will have to be re-purchased to be played on Vita, but those who can prove via UMD that they already own games will get a discount when re-purchasing the same content digitally.

In Japan these full-price games will cost around ¥1,000 ($13, £8). Some of the titles in this price range include Dirt 2, Gran Turismo, Dead or Alive Paradise and Patapon 3. Some titles will cost less to transfer, while others will cost considerably more. Third party titles will be available to transfer once Vita is officially released. The company estimates that around 200 titles will be available at that time - including games from Square Enix, Capcom, and Konami.

The PlayStation Vita will launch in Japan on December 17, in other parts of Asia December 23, and in Europe and North America on February 22, 2012.

We are not sure how Japanese consumers will react to these prices, but consumers in Europe and America will not be happy to hear that they have to pay even more money for games they already purchased.

Source: Gamespot

Comments

Re: PlayStation Vita UMD 'Transfer' Pricing Revealed for Japan

Set up a kiosk in a store. It should have a UMD reader, a USB port and a connection to PSN. From there you connect your PSP to it to establish your PSN account. Then insert the UMD of your game. It will identify the game and ask do you want to trade the physical for the virtual version? Choose yes and the game will be credited to you account and the UMD claimed by the kiosk. Come by as needed to empty the storage and make room for more trade-ins.

Re: PlayStation Vita UMD 'Transfer' Pricing Revealed for Japan

Re: PlayStation Vita UMD 'Transfer' Pricing Revealed for Japan

Not a good way to go since its not easy IE is cheap to move your collection to the PSP2 everyone losses. They should have built a device that reads a disc goes online to a database find the title then allow a one time transfer of the game on that account using that method of transfer would at least be something worth while to the consumer.

---

Re: PlayStation Vita UMD 'Transfer' Pricing Revealed for Japan

The Vita will end up like the PSP Go.

Re: PlayStation Vita UMD 'Transfer' Pricing Revealed for Japan

It's still a load of crap.

Poll