Call of Duty Elite Service Continues Having Trouble

November 15, 2011 -

Activision's social network that launched with the release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 continues to have problems. Call of Duty Elite, the much vaunted social and stat tracking service is still experiencing problems and continues to prevent players from logging in. The service has been operational sporadically since launch, which Activision has blamed on what it is calling "over subscription to the servers." The service's level of operation is often listed as 'intermittent,' much to the chagrin of players who are paying for it.

Beachhead, the new studio which is responsible for the service, says that it is "working around the clock" to fix the problem. That work, according to forum goers, seems to be affecting the multiplayer game servers, with users complaining about lag and connection failures. Last week Activision told Elite users that it had extended their membership by an additional 30 days because of all the problems. The company also delayed the launch of the service for the PC version of Modern Warfare 3 and also the mobile Elite app.

We'll have more on this story as it develops.

Source: GI.biz

Comments

Re: Call of Duty Elite Service Continues Having Trouble

Let's see...

Thousands of people contact server repeatedly.  Server can't handle all the requests.  Server shuts down from over-use.

EA made its fans DDoS their own server?  They best be trolling...

Re: Call of Duty Elite Service Continues Having Trouble

It's dead.

I think Activision had a relatively short window to make this thing work. People are playing MW3 without it for a while now and once people get in to a usage pattern its hard to break that rut.

Re: Call of Duty Elite Service Continues Having Trouble

Translation: For potentially the largest video game release and sales of the year, Activision was unprepared and did not acquire enough servers with enough processing power as to be in adequate possession of the capacity necessary to manage the sheer number of players who would register for and use the service daily.

----
Papa Midnight

james_fudgeNot I, said the fly.08/04/2015 - 4:31pm
Big PermAnyone use an Intel 750?08/04/2015 - 3:40pm
E. Zachary KnightSome great comments about gender diversity in game development from GDC Europe. http://gamasutra.com/view/news/250417/Women_in_the_game_industry_share_stories_of_improving_diversity.php08/04/2015 - 3:11pm
Sora-Chan@EZK: It's kind sad that kind of thing still occurs to this day (and for good reasons...)08/04/2015 - 2:33pm
E. Zachary KnightA woman author shares her experience submitting her manuscript to publishing agents under a man's name. http://jezebel.com/homme-de-plume-what-i-learned-sending-my-novel-out-und-172063762708/04/2015 - 1:21pm
james_fudgeme either. They are rolling it out in phases.08/04/2015 - 12:41pm
Big PermI haven't got my notification yet, even though I reserved it the day the pop up came.08/04/2015 - 12:27pm
james_fudgeThanks Matthew. I have not yet installed Windows 10, but the complaints about it have been minimal.08/04/2015 - 12:19pm
benohawkhttp://goo.gl/6yZ7EO suggests you can kill it all, but I haven't tested it on my system as of yet. And I wouldn't recommend digging in the registry or playing around withdisabling services for most users08/04/2015 - 12:18pm
Matthew Wilsonyes you can turn it off08/04/2015 - 12:15pm
james_fudgeCan you completely disable it though? I think you can minimize what it collects.08/04/2015 - 12:06pm
benohawkThe Win 10 data collection sounds scary, but I think it would be just too much data to be useful08/04/2015 - 11:57am
benohawkNo need to apologize Big Perm08/04/2015 - 11:55am
benohawkThe changing to 0 only being a 1 was local security policy change, not the reghack08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermSorry Beno, it looks like you're right.08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermFrom what I've heard (and obviously I could be wrong here), but I hear even setting it to "0" in the registry will only change to "1" or "Basic" collection. I'll try to find the article I got this from08/04/2015 - 11:40am
benohawkBig Perm, you can disable telemetry, just not through the gui. It's a matter of adding a registry key and disabling a couple services08/04/2015 - 11:34am
Big PermBlazers w/ t-shirts trigger me. This madness must be stopped08/04/2015 - 10:36am
PHX Corphttps://twitter.com/JimSterling Jim Sterling's commentary of the Xbox Gamescom event08/04/2015 - 9:34am
Big PermI'm talking about not being able to fully disable telemetry unless you have Enterprise software. It's just creepy to me08/04/2015 - 9:31am