Rumor: Nintendo in Talks with EA to use Origin for Wii U

November 15, 2011 -

According to a report on UGO's Wii channel, Nintendo may use EA's Origin service with its upcoming Wii U console. According to an anonymous tip from within EA, the company is supposedly working with Nintendo on a deal related to the Origin digital distribution platform. The source claims that EA and Nintendo are in talks to use Origin as Nintendo’s primary hosting platform for game distribution online.

The source also claims that Valve has been talking with Nintendo, but the impression they give is that EA is being extra aggressive in sealing the deal.

Both EA and Nintendo have not publicly commented on this story - and even if they did chances are their response would be "no comment" or "we don't comment on rumors." For now consider it an interesting rumor.

Source: WII UGO by way of IndustryGamers

Comments

Re: Rumor: Nintendo in Talks with EA to use Origin for Wii U

Based on the reports coming out of E3, Nintendo was going to let game developers and publishers handle their online infrastructure themselves. There wasn't going to be some unifying "Nintendo Live".

So there is probably some truth to this and the Valve rumor. Both are probably working to get their services running under the Wii U. I doubt Nintendo would be dumb enough to force some 3rd party's online service onto all developers. That would be bad for them.

Re: Rumor: Nintendo in Talks with EA to use Origin for Wii U

At the very least it can do less damage on a console. This is one rumor I hope is untrue as EA would quickly abuse the system

Re: Rumor: Nintendo in Talks with EA to use Origin for Wii U

I'd trust Valve more due to the whole EA Origin invading privacy.

Re: Rumor: Nintendo in Talks with EA to use Origin for Wii U

I'd trust Valve more simply due to the fact, that EA has a ten+ years long reputation of HATING and ABUSING their consumers as much as legally possible.

Premium pricing? Check.

DLC overpriced/on disc? Check.

Oppressive EULA's? Check.

Killing off auth servers for older games at the drop of a hat? Check.

Patches and minimalist DLC sold as 'sequels'? Check.

Satans of Crunching and deadline pushing? Check.

Usurping and killing off less-than-milkable franchises? Check.

Buying exclusive rights instead of making a product capable of competing with others? Check.

DRM failures to the max? Check.

Smearing Valve as a company with baseless accusations, in a vain attempt at PR-boosting their much more consumer-hating digital store? Check.

WonderkarpBlocklist Author Randi Harper accused of Doxxing Someone on the List http://theralphretort.com/time-caught-blocklist-dunce-randi-harper-doxing-someone/11/24/2014 - 10:56am
ZippyDSMleehttp://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=35311/24/2014 - 9:46am
WonderkarpDay 4 of my Amiibos. Still Unopened. Now pegged too a wall. I just love the packaging too much11/24/2014 - 8:12am
PHX Corp@Jessy I actually saw it on gamespot, seems that Nintendo accidently turned Samus into a Badass11/23/2014 - 9:28pm
Jessy HartAnybody else see the Samus Amiibo with 2 arm canons?11/23/2014 - 9:10pm
Andrew EisenNeo - If you're not bleeding then it's probably not you who needs to go to the doctor.11/23/2014 - 5:45pm
Wonderkarpgood. that kind of behavior is unnecessary.11/23/2014 - 5:44pm
WonderkarpGeorgina Young - Are Video Games Sexist? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9LV4GuG9E11/23/2014 - 5:43pm
ZippyDSMleehttp://deadspin.com/starcraft-player-says-hell-rape-opponent-is-booted-f-1662346891/+Fahey11/23/2014 - 5:40pm
Wonderkarphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a9tMGSTG411/23/2014 - 5:32pm
WonderkarpDan Vavra of Warhorse Studios at the Nordic eCommerce Summit 2014 on Game Journalism and why ethics are important11/23/2014 - 5:27pm
WonderkarpGame Dev Ashley Ross on the Block/Blacklist https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/2n603f/thoughts_on_the_recent_igdaggautoblocker_incident/11/23/2014 - 5:25pm
Wonderkarpwhich is interesting cause this the first one 100% made by 2k games after the THQ buy11/23/2014 - 4:17pm
Neo_DrKefkaThat would be a major OSHA violation correct?11/23/2014 - 1:54pm