NZ Game Development Jobs Grow 46 Percent

November 16, 2011 -

The New Zealand video game development industry grew by 46 percent, offering 359 equivalent full-time jobs in the 12 months to September 2011, according to the New Zealand Game Developers Association (NZGDA). The NZGDA surveyed 21 NZ game studios in September. Of those surveyed, the vast majority of these New Zealand studios were owned by people or companies that are from the region too, according to NZGDA chairman Stephen Knightly.

Around 114 game development jobs were created in the last 12 months to September, and local game developers expected to create around 99 new jobs in the next 12 months, according to the survey. Approximately 40 percent of these jobs would be for programmers, 40 percent for artists and 20 percent for managers. Studios taking part in the survey included Sidhe, SmallWorlds, Cerebral Fix, NinjaKiwi, and Grinding Gear Games. The studios surveyed also said they were developing 59 games collectively and 77 percent of these studios had self published their own original games. Around 73 percent of studios surveyed said that they produced games for iOS platforms in the past three years, 42 percent said they produced an online browser-based game, 30 percent developed console games, 35 percent created downloadable PC games and 35 percent created Android games.

“Unlike some other kinds of tech startups, interactive games studios have an large addressable market hungry for product and can generate cash-flow reasonably early in their history,” said Knightly.

Knightly added that NZ that game development studios are export businesses that increasingly retained their intellectual property in New Zealand.

“Globally, the games industry already earns more than Hollywood and local developers are getting their share of that pie,” he said.

The NZGDA said that 99 percent of games developed in New Zealand are designed for international markets, and digital distribution platforms are what make that possible. The NZGDA also claims that 23 percent of New Zealand studios have received some form of angel or venture capital funding in recent years.

Source: NBR.co.NZ

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm
Wonderkarpvalet about parking info01/31/2015 - 6:41pm
Wonderkarpyour glenn beck to her republican party. you can refut all you want, but its not going to matter until femfreq comes out and disputes these claims because you are not a member of fem freq. you are a second party. I dont ask the man standing next to the01/31/2015 - 6:39pm
Wonderkarpis free gifts01/31/2015 - 6:39pm
WonderkarpListen and Believe is one of the slogans Femfreq touts on twitter. and Non profits are in danger of losing their tax exempt status by merchandising. Its a big nono. I worked at the MDA for a while and they do NOT sell merchandise. anything they do have01/31/2015 - 6:38pm