Digital Sales Up, Profits Down for GameStop

November 17, 2011 -

US video game retailer GameStop announced that it recorded sales of $1.95 billion for the third quarter ended October 29, up by about 2.5 percent from $1.9 billion in the same period a year ago. The company reported that profits were down ever so slightly from $54.7 million to $53.9 million, which it blamed on lower sales of new software.

The good news for the company is that its digital sales were up by an estimated 59 percent, with console digital sales growing 63 percent and PC digital sales up 51 percent. Pre-owned game and hardware sales were up 3.1 percent, and new releases were up by 4.8 percent thanks to a few select titles such as Battlefield 3, Madden NFL 12, Batman: Arkham City, and Dead Island.

"In the third quarter, GameStop outperformed the market and continued to execute against the long-term strategic plan through additional investments in digital and emerging businesses," offered Paul Raines, CEO. "We expect that our innovative digital, iDevice and gaming tablet businesses will supplement our leading retail business this holiday."

GameStop said that it has seen a "strong sell-through" of November releases.

Source: GI.biz

Comments

Re: Digital Sales Up, Profits Down for GameStop

As much as I hate digital distribution, this made me smile.

Re: Digital Sales Up, Profits Down for GameStop

I've seen a lot more people trade in games instead of buying new.  When people do buy new, they usually trade in a heap of older games to reduce the cost.  Also G$ has been eating the cost of the "online pass" DLC on their used games for quite a few titles.  MK9, Arkham City, and Gears 3 come to mind off the top of my head as giving away free DLC for the used games.  IMHO, that's also why the used prices of those games hasn't dropped much yet.

E. Zachary KnightA woman author shares her experience submitting her manuscript to publishing agents under a man's name. http://jezebel.com/homme-de-plume-what-i-learned-sending-my-novel-out-und-172063762708/04/2015 - 1:21pm
james_fudgeme either. They are rolling it out in phases.08/04/2015 - 12:41pm
Big PermI haven't got my notification yet, even though I reserved it the day the pop up came.08/04/2015 - 12:27pm
james_fudgeThanks Matthew. I have not yet installed Windows 10, but the complaints about it have been minimal.08/04/2015 - 12:19pm
benohawkhttp://goo.gl/6yZ7EO suggests you can kill it all, but I haven't tested it on my system as of yet. And I wouldn't recommend digging in the registry or playing around withdisabling services for most users08/04/2015 - 12:18pm
Matthew Wilsonyes you can turn it off08/04/2015 - 12:15pm
james_fudgeCan you completely disable it though? I think you can minimize what it collects.08/04/2015 - 12:06pm
benohawkThe Win 10 data collection sounds scary, but I think it would be just too much data to be useful08/04/2015 - 11:57am
benohawkNo need to apologize Big Perm08/04/2015 - 11:55am
benohawkThe changing to 0 only being a 1 was local security policy change, not the reghack08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermSorry Beno, it looks like you're right.08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermFrom what I've heard (and obviously I could be wrong here), but I hear even setting it to "0" in the registry will only change to "1" or "Basic" collection. I'll try to find the article I got this from08/04/2015 - 11:40am
benohawkBig Perm, you can disable telemetry, just not through the gui. It's a matter of adding a registry key and disabling a couple services08/04/2015 - 11:34am
Big PermBlazers w/ t-shirts trigger me. This madness must be stopped08/04/2015 - 10:36am
PHX Corphttps://twitter.com/JimSterling Jim Sterling's commentary of the Xbox Gamescom event08/04/2015 - 9:34am
Big PermI'm talking about not being able to fully disable telemetry unless you have Enterprise software. It's just creepy to me08/04/2015 - 9:31am
TechnogeekBig Perm: If you're talking about the image I think you are, then no, not really. The claims it makes are, at best, extremely misleading in many instances.08/04/2015 - 9:28am
E. Zachary KnightBig Perm, That would make logical sense, so of course YouTube would not allow you to set your subscription page as the home page.08/04/2015 - 9:14am
Big PermBy the way. Anyone else kind of spooked by Microsofts data collection that's being reported about Win10? Thinking of finally trying a linux box for general use and Windows for gaming only08/04/2015 - 8:59am
Big PermCan you set youtube to load subs instead of recommendations first?08/04/2015 - 8:54am