GameStop Sells 600K Elite Memberships

November 18, 2011 -

As part of its latest financial results games retailer GameStop revealed that it sold well over a half-a-million Call of Duty Elite subscriptions. The Call of Duty Elite subscriptions were a big hit at GameStop stores, mostly due to the November 8 launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Elite sales certainly helped GameStop's digital business, which the company expects to exceed internal expectations of $450 million for the current fiscal year. So exactly how many Elite subscriptions were sold? According to GameStop, right around 600,000.

"In the case of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, we worked closely with Activision, Sony and Microsoft to pre-order and deliver nearly 600,000 instances of the Modern Warfare Elite DLC to date," said GameStop president Tony Bartel. "This places the launch of Elite as one of our top 10 launches of the year so far."

Elite subscribers get free monthly downloadable content, get to participate in competitions with prizes, get early access to new game features and other benefits for an annual fee of $50. Unfortunately, the service has proven to be hit-or-miss for most Elite subscribers. The service has been suffering from technical problems since launch and Activision is actively trying to fix it. They say the problems are being caused by an unexpected amount of subscribers.

As of this writing, Elite stability issues are still affecting the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 users, with plans for a mobile app and a PC version.

Source: Gamasutra

Comments

Re: GameStop Sells 600K Elite Memberships

Like lambs being lead to the slaughter.

Re: GameStop Sells 600K Elite Memberships

A smart company making money on a worthwhile product their customers love. What a scam!

Re: GameStop Sells 600K Elite Memberships

I find this very depressing.  It's been successful, so now we're going to see copycats.  This is where developers will be focusing their attention.

Re: GameStop Sells 600K Elite Memberships

Wow!  At a rate of one per minute, that's more than 416 days worth of suckers!

Poll

Who's responsible for crappy Netflix performance on Verizon?:

MaskedPixelanteIf by "distance themselves from Google Plus" you mean "forcing Google Plus integration in everything", then yes, they are distancing themselves from Google Plus.07/26/2014 - 12:20pm
MechaTama31I wish they would distance G+ from the Play Store, so I could leave reviews and comments again.07/26/2014 - 11:03am
Papa MidnightGoogle+ Integration is coming to Twitch!07/25/2014 - 8:41pm