EFF Issues Appeal for Help to Fight Against SOPA and Protect IP

November 23, 2011 -

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is taking up arms against the PROTECT IP Act in the Senate and the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the House and they want your help to do it. The advocacy that supports internet rights and freedom of speech online says that these new bills are "a threatening sequel to last year's COICA Internet censorship bill" and that this legislation "invites Internet security risks, threatens online speech, and hampers Internet innovation."

"As drafted, these bills would grant the government and private parties unprecedented power to interfere with the Internet's domain name system (DNS)," read an email sent to supporters last night. "The government would be able to force ISPs and search engines to thwart users' attempts to reach certain websites' URLs. Under SOPA's provisions, service providers (including hosting services) would be under new pressure to monitor and police their users' activities."

One of the ways of pushing back against this legislation - besides contacting your representatives at the state and federal levels of government, is to donate to organizations like the EFF. You can find out more about that by visiting their official web site at EFF.org.

ZippyDSMleeShout box sttasahhppppp!!05/22/2015 - 10:47am