Happy Thanksgiving!

November 24, 2011 -

GamePolitics is going dark today in observance of Thanksgiving and boy howdy do gamers like us have oodles to be thankful for this year.  Fall 2011 is jam-packed with more awesome video games than most will ever have the time (or money) to play.  See the bottom of Leland Yee’s recent “Don’t buy these video games” press release to parents for a few good suggestions.

Personally, I can’t wait to dig into the newest Zelda game.  I know James is schoolgirl giddy to play Skyrim and word has it that ECA big cheese Hal Halpin just can’t get enough of PETA’s Super Tanooki Skin 2D.

I may have made up that last part.  Moving on...

The Supreme Court finally vetted legislation restricting the sale of violent video games to minors and we’re supremely (see what I did there?) thankful that it agreed with every single other court in America to have tackled this issue and ruled in favor of the video game industry.  The Brown v. EMA decision sets an important president for all future game legislation and will help ensure that we get to enjoy the unrestricted creativity of game developers for Thanksgivings to come.

Net Neutrality is now the law of the land and while it may not be exactly what we wanted, we’re darn thankful for everyone that helped to get it where it is and who continue to fight to get it to where it should be.

Hopefully next year we’ll be thankful for the toilet flushing of legislation like SOPA and the Protect IP Act.  Granting IP holders the ability to shut down websites and services for allegedly infringing on a copyright with little to no judicial oversight isn’t cool.  Call us old fashioned, but we rather dig that whole “innocent until proven guilty” thing.  Until then, we’re enormously thankful for everyone out there doing their damnedest to prevent these laws from going into effect as currently written.

And finally, thanks to all our international friends who don’t celebrate Thanksgiving for keeping the world running while we take the day off to gorge ourselves on turkey and pie!

From all of us here at GamePolitics and the ECA, we wish you a very happy Thanksgiving!

-GamePolitics Contributing Editor Andrew Eisen

Comments

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday. As you can tell we're not doing much today, but I am am enjoying the links being shared in the Shout box.

I am going to spend my day in Skyrim trying to join the various guilds. Have Fun! - J

MechaCrashYeah, even I think IP needs to dial it back.05/22/2015 - 12:35am
Mattsworknamesays05/21/2015 - 11:17pm
Andrew EisenThat's an... interesting way to interpret that.05/21/2015 - 8:36pm
Goth_SkunkAnd re BBC vs Rockstar: Ahh. I missed that. Woops!05/21/2015 - 8:33pm
DocMelonheadYou could say that the Mary Sue only interested in Gender issues in pop culture, and they only see GamerGate as a Hate group that fight for the oppressive status quo.05/21/2015 - 8:22pm
MechaCrashWell, can't blame him for not expanding on it and missing stories here. Sealioning people demanding proof of claims and then calling them liars when they provide it is busy work!05/21/2015 - 8:20pm
Andrew EisenRe: Mary Sue - Uh, why exactly? Re: Rockstar - Yep, we reported that earlier today.05/21/2015 - 8:12pm
Goth_SkunkRockstar is suing the BBC. http://ow.ly/NgzDm05/21/2015 - 8:00pm
Goth_SkunkWhy I don't take The Mary Sue seriously, and why you shouldn't either: http://ow.ly/Ngzkk05/21/2015 - 7:55pm