Australian Psychiatrist Wants 'Pathological Internet Misuse' Classified as an Addiction

November 28, 2011 -

Psychiatrist Philip Tam believes internet addiction should be classified as a disorder. The Sydney, Australia based psychiatrist and some Australian parents think that internet addiction and online game addiction need to be officially classified as addictions so that children can be treated for the so-called disorders. A News.com Australia report claims that "distressed parents" are "flooding psychiatrists" with pleas for help with their children who are addicted to being online.

The report claims that international mental health experts are considering including "video game addiction and internet addiction" in the next edition of globally recognized Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders "to encourage further study". The exact term they are using is "pathological internet misuse."

A Sydney mother tells News.com Australia that her 13-year-old son was is so addicted to computer games that he has skipped school over the past two years and often "violently resisted" attempts to stop him from playing his favorite MMO, World of Warcraft.

"He starts punching holes through the walls, throwing things around and threatening you ... all this has to do with the most addictive game, World of Warcraft," the unnamed parent said.

The report also claims that parents have complained of children as "young as 10" often found sleeping at the computer - up much of the night playing video games such as Minecraft.

Although the report only cites two health professionals, it claims that a majority of Australian mental health specialists believe formal recognition of internet addiction will put pressure on governments to make more treatment options available.

" ... such conditions are complex in nature and often overlap with common mental health disorders," he said.

Jocelyn Brewer, a member of Philip Tam's "expert group," said girls also could "become obsessed with Facebook". She adds that there is a "massive divide (between teachers and parents) in expertise about kids' use of technology."

Source: News.com.au

Comments

Re: Australian Psychiatrist Wants 'Pathological Internet ...

Skipping school, punching out walls and being violent when the parents try to get him off of his game? Man, if I did that when I was young, my dad would've taken his belt off and whooped my behind, and I would've been grounded for two or more weeks! When did parents stop raising children on their own? It saddens me when I read articles like this. When your children do stuff like this, you punish them! Plain and simple!

benohawkNo need to apologize Big Perm08/04/2015 - 11:55am
benohawkThe changing to 0 only being a 1 was local security policy change, not the reghack08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermSorry Beno, it looks like you're right.08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermFrom what I've heard (and obviously I could be wrong here), but I hear even setting it to "0" in the registry will only change to "1" or "Basic" collection. I'll try to find the article I got this from08/04/2015 - 11:40am
benohawkBig Perm, you can disable telemetry, just not through the gui. It's a matter of adding a registry key and disabling a couple services08/04/2015 - 11:34am
Big PermBlazers w/ t-shirts trigger me. This madness must be stopped08/04/2015 - 10:36am
PHX Corphttps://twitter.com/JimSterling Jim Sterling's commentary of the Xbox Gamescom event08/04/2015 - 9:34am
Big PermI'm talking about not being able to fully disable telemetry unless you have Enterprise software. It's just creepy to me08/04/2015 - 9:31am
TechnogeekBig Perm: If you're talking about the image I think you are, then no, not really. The claims it makes are, at best, extremely misleading in many instances.08/04/2015 - 9:28am
E. Zachary KnightBig Perm, That would make logical sense, so of course YouTube would not allow you to set your subscription page as the home page.08/04/2015 - 9:14am
Big PermBy the way. Anyone else kind of spooked by Microsofts data collection that's being reported about Win10? Thinking of finally trying a linux box for general use and Windows for gaming only08/04/2015 - 8:59am
Big PermCan you set youtube to load subs instead of recommendations first?08/04/2015 - 8:54am
MonteI've had mostly good experience with Youtube recommendations... only problem is when i watch a certain video that messes it up and gets me reconmendations i don't want. Though all i have to do is remove said video from my history to fix it08/04/2015 - 8:42am
Big PermYoutube wants me to watch Nicki Minaj videos. I am ok with this. Dat mute tho08/04/2015 - 7:48am
IvresseIronpatriot: I think it's fair to say that even anti-gamergaters want you to just shut the hell up...08/04/2015 - 7:27am
Sora-Chan@Andrew Eisen: A tip for when it comes to clicking people's video recommendations, use Incognito/Private Mode.that'll keep those kinds of recommendations off the radar. =P08/04/2015 - 5:37am
InfophileWow, I just got an e-mailed ad from Nintendo: "FREE AC Adapter with New Nintendo 3DS XL" - So... pretending this didn't used to be normal, are we?08/04/2015 - 3:34am
MattsworknameNight man, take care08/04/2015 - 2:59am
Andrew EisenOff to bed. Play nice.08/04/2015 - 2:53am
Andrew EisenNo worries. Yeah, it's the pits. It's like "How many times do I have to tell you I'm not interested in this producer's work before you stop recommending his videos to me?!"08/04/2015 - 2:53am