New Xbox 360 Dashboard Causing Problems for Some Users

December 7, 2011 -

Microsoft is rolling out the new Xbox 360 Dashboard, but not without some problems, according to a report at IGN.

Apparently, users are getting video and connection issues, while others are reporting problems as serious as a dead console.

Microsoft's Major Nelson tweeted for everyone to watch the Xbox Live Status Page for updates, and the latest update has all services being restored except for Epix. The page also notes that:

Users may experience difficulties with the following services:

• A subset of users will experience issues viewing Beacon activity under the "My Activity" and "My Beacons" tab.
  • Users will be unable to purchase content from the Windows Phone Marketplace.

We are aware of the problem and are working to resolve the issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience.

IGN is having users post their experiences in the article's comments section.

Thanks for the tip, Andrew.

Comments

Re: New Xbox 360 Dashboard Causing Problems for Some Users

I haven't had any crashes, but the UI just sucks. I guess that is a bug. ;)

Also that screenshot, that is the old version of the dashboard, not the 2011 Metro.

Re: New Xbox 360 Dashboard causing problems for some users

Par for the course for any firmware/interface update.  I already had one freeze and a crash since the update.

Also, I think that the Kinect software was updated, because now it seems to be hell-bent on figuring out where both my hands are at all times, even if one is clearly out of view- which causes occasional cursor stutters as the system tries to guess which hand I am using to point with.  I don't remember having that problem before, but then again it could be confirmation bias.

Re: New Xbox 360 Dashboard causing problems for some users

Yeah, I expected this stuff to happen and as far as the Kinect update I think your right. I can't drink a beer without the Kinect thinking I want to do something.

-----------------------------------------

Managing Editor at TheBestGameSiteEver.com

Poll

Is King right? Should all games adopt the free-to-play model?:

Matthew Wilsonit is a game worth playing if you have a pc/360/ps304/20/2014 - 9:34pm
MaskedPixelantehttps://twitter.com/IGLevine/status/457552538343325696 The Lutece Twins show up in some of the most unlikely of places.04/20/2014 - 2:44pm
Andrew EisenAs it happens, Chinatown Wars is the only GTA game I've played.04/19/2014 - 10:43am
Papa MidnightWith GTA5 (to date) failing to even provide indication of a PC release, I'm realising that this might be the first GTA game that I have not played (outside of Chinatown Wars) since the series inception.04/19/2014 - 8:14am
IanCSo im guessing a bunch of edutainment games, which a lot of people elsewhere are going gaga over, dot count as classics? Okay. If you don't mind me, i have a sudden urge to play Putt Putt....04/19/2014 - 6:15am
MaskedPixelantehttp://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/18/playstation-99-cent-sale-discounts-tokyo-jungle-super-stardust/ Weekend long PSN flash sale. So much stuff is 99 cents for the rest of the weekend.04/18/2014 - 5:59pm
Adam802http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/18/5627928/newtown-video-game-addiction-forum04/18/2014 - 4:14pm
Matthew Wilsonit is a video talking about why certain games/products/consoles do well, and others do not. he back it up with solid research.04/18/2014 - 3:56pm
Andrew EisenI'm not keen on blind links. What is it?04/18/2014 - 3:45pm
Matthew Wilsonthis is worth a whatch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyXcr6sDRtw&list=PL35FE5C4B157509C904/18/2014 - 3:43pm
MaskedPixelanteNumber 3: Night Dive was brought to the attention of the public by a massive game recovery, and yet most of their released catalogue consists of games that other people did the hard work of getting re-released.04/17/2014 - 8:46pm
MaskedPixelanteNumber 2: If Humongous Entertainment wanted their stuff on Steam, why didn't they talk to their parent company, which does have a number of games published on Steam?04/17/2014 - 8:45pm
MaskedPixelanteNumber 1: When Night Dive spent the better part of a year teasing the return of true classics, having their big content dump be edutainment is kind of a kick in the stomach.04/17/2014 - 8:44pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.giantbomb.com/articles/jeff-gerstmann-heads-to-new-york-takes-questions/1100-4900/ He talks about the future games press and the games industry. It is worth your time even though it is a bit long, and stay for the QA. There are some good QA04/17/2014 - 5:28pm
IanCErm so they shouldn't sell edutainment at all? Why?04/17/2014 - 4:42pm
MaskedPixelanteNot that linkable, go onto Steam and there's stuff like Pajama Sam on the front-page, courtesy of Night Dive.04/17/2014 - 4:13pm
Andrew EisenOkay, again, please, please, PLEASE get in a habit of linking to whatever you're talking about.04/17/2014 - 4:05pm
MaskedPixelanteAnother round of Night Dive teasing and promising turns out to be stupid edutainment games. Thanks for wasting all our time, guys. See you never.04/17/2014 - 3:44pm
Matthew WilsonAgain the consequences were not only foreseeable, but very likely. anyone who understood supply demand curvs knew that was going to happen. SF has been a econ/trade hub for the last hundred years.04/17/2014 - 2:45pm
Andrew EisenMixedPixelante - Would you like to expand on that?04/17/2014 - 2:43pm