Netflix CEO: We Fear HBO Go

December 8, 2011 -

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings says that he sees an "arms race" in the streaming entertainment sector that his company currently dominates, and the biggest competition they face is Time Warner's HBO Go.

"The competitor we fear most is HBO Go,” Hastings said this week at the UBS media conference in New York. "HBO is becoming more Netflix-like and we’re becoming more HBO-like. The two of us will compete for a very long time."

While Hastings may fear HBO GO, he doesn't seem to be too scared of services from Verizon and amazon.com, who he says will have to spend $1 - 2 billion a year on content licensing deals to be any kind of threat. He also adds that services like these will first need to get on various devices like Internet-ready TV's Xbox 360, PS3, Roku, Wii, 3DS, and more.

Half of home-video viewing will come through the Internet as soon as 2016, according to Hastings.

“The industry is very motivated around this concept of smart TVs,” Hastings said.

But Netflix has bigger problems than HBO GO in the short-term; after announcing pricing changes and talking about making drastic changes to its disc-based service earlier this year, customers decided to bail. The company lost 800,000 subscribers in the US during the third quarter. Hastings would not comment on fourth-quarter subscriber numbers, but predicted gains in 2012.

"We are very optimistic that we can put up very substantial growth next year," Hastings said.

On a side note, perhaps Netflix shouldn't worry too much about HBO GO in the short term - many of Time Warner Cable's own customers don't have access to it yet... but they do have access to Netflix.

Source: Bloomberg

Comments

Re: Netflix CEO: We Fear HBO Go

Reed Hastings is what Netflix needs to fear. His new policies have destroyed Netflix consumer base trying to get an extra buck and please investors which has caused their stock plummet.

Re: Netflix CEO: We Fear HBO Go

Agreed with the rest of you. There are maybe two shows I want to watch on HBO Go. There are literally thousands of things I want to watch on Netflix.

there is no comparison.

Re: Netflix CEO: We Fear HBO Go

Sounds more like a bluff to me. Or cowardice. Like a heavyweight calling out a lightweight. HuluPlus is Netflix's real problem right now, as far as streaming goes.

Re: Netflix CEO: We Fear HBO Go

I dunno, last time I looked at Hulu Plus, it took me 40 minutes of browsing to find a single movie I had even heard of before.  Their TV selection was better, but the movies seemed to be just whatever they could get without having to pay much licensing (old/indie/flops/whatever).

Re: Netflix CEO: We Fear HBO Go

Still, I doubt HBO's going to pose a threat. I think Netflix is just trying to look tough.

Poll

Which group is more ethically challenged?:

InfophileI know the ZE series was in the red in Japan, but international series boosted it to profitability. That may not mean it's more profitable in the west, but it does mean ZE3 wouldn't exist without the western market.07/04/2015 - 7:54am
Consterwhy aren't "Video game players" an option on the poll? :P07/04/2015 - 5:19am
Andrew EisenThat was quick! Pretty accurate cosplay of the new Ghostbuster uniform and proton pack: https://twitter.com/mirabellemusing/status/61673135125394227207/03/2015 - 6:23pm
Matthew Wilson@mast I dont know, but I do know it got a cult fallowing here.07/03/2015 - 6:22pm
MastermuneWasn't the Zero Escape series more popular here than in Japan?07/03/2015 - 6:19pm
Matthew Wilson@mast given the game was revealed in the US, I wouldnt be shocked if it was released at the same time.07/03/2015 - 6:15pm
MastermuneI don't trust the big AAA worldwide simultaneous releases though.07/03/2015 - 5:57pm
Mastermune@Infophile I have come to the conclusion that smaller games like zero escape, JRPG's and the like are actually worth preordering sinc they are limited quantities and since they usually release in japan first we know if there are any issues.07/03/2015 - 5:56pm
Infophile@Matthew! Awesome news. I'd preorder on that shout alone if I didn't have a policy against preordering anymore.07/03/2015 - 5:16pm
Matthew Wilsonzero escape 3 was announced today.07/03/2015 - 4:21pm
Matthew Wilson@pnx I am guessing a ddoss since that is what happened to neogaf, but sony needs to do a investment in psn as a whole. steam is still the most reliable and fastest digital platform I use.07/03/2015 - 3:06pm
PHX Corphttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/psn-is-down-sony-investigating/ not again: PSN is down, Sony investigating07/03/2015 - 3:04pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/digital-extremes-trespasser-keystone-pc/ if true, this is funny and embarrassing for Digital Extremes. companies need too have better security.07/03/2015 - 2:57pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-destiny-the-hardcore-gamers-slot-machine/2300-6425852/ this is very good, and well researched.07/03/2015 - 12:41pm
InfophileOther features to become standard: The ability to remap controls however the hell I want. Quicksave at any time (especially for handheld and mobile games). Plus everything Andrew said07/03/2015 - 10:43am
InfophileRegion-freeing becomes tricky for games with a strong online component though, especially when the servers are run by different branches in different regions.07/03/2015 - 10:41am
InfophileI'm in favor of getting rid of region-locking for any purchased games. I can understand an exception for free, ad-supported games, as many ads are only relevant in certain regions, and it's a ridiculous hassle to get ads for all regions.07/03/2015 - 10:40am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/payday-2-has-been-broken-on-xbox-one-for-three-weeks-1715384186 Payday 2 Has Been Broken On Xbox One For Three Weeks07/03/2015 - 8:44am
Matthew Wilsonhttps://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3bxduw/why_was_riama_along_with_a_number_of_other_large/ here is a more complete acount of whats going on.07/03/2015 - 1:32am
Matthew Wilsonredit is on fire right now. most subreddits have been set to private.07/03/2015 - 1:24am