Netflix CEO: We Fear HBO Go

December 8, 2011 -

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings says that he sees an "arms race" in the streaming entertainment sector that his company currently dominates, and the biggest competition they face is Time Warner's HBO Go.

"The competitor we fear most is HBO Go,” Hastings said this week at the UBS media conference in New York. "HBO is becoming more Netflix-like and we’re becoming more HBO-like. The two of us will compete for a very long time."

While Hastings may fear HBO GO, he doesn't seem to be too scared of services from Verizon and amazon.com, who he says will have to spend $1 - 2 billion a year on content licensing deals to be any kind of threat. He also adds that services like these will first need to get on various devices like Internet-ready TV's Xbox 360, PS3, Roku, Wii, 3DS, and more.

Half of home-video viewing will come through the Internet as soon as 2016, according to Hastings.

“The industry is very motivated around this concept of smart TVs,” Hastings said.

But Netflix has bigger problems than HBO GO in the short-term; after announcing pricing changes and talking about making drastic changes to its disc-based service earlier this year, customers decided to bail. The company lost 800,000 subscribers in the US during the third quarter. Hastings would not comment on fourth-quarter subscriber numbers, but predicted gains in 2012.

"We are very optimistic that we can put up very substantial growth next year," Hastings said.

On a side note, perhaps Netflix shouldn't worry too much about HBO GO in the short term - many of Time Warner Cable's own customers don't have access to it yet... but they do have access to Netflix.

Source: Bloomberg

Comments

Re: Netflix CEO: We Fear HBO Go

Reed Hastings is what Netflix needs to fear. His new policies have destroyed Netflix consumer base trying to get an extra buck and please investors which has caused their stock plummet.

Re: Netflix CEO: We Fear HBO Go

Agreed with the rest of you. There are maybe two shows I want to watch on HBO Go. There are literally thousands of things I want to watch on Netflix.

there is no comparison.

Re: Netflix CEO: We Fear HBO Go

Sounds more like a bluff to me. Or cowardice. Like a heavyweight calling out a lightweight. HuluPlus is Netflix's real problem right now, as far as streaming goes.

Re: Netflix CEO: We Fear HBO Go

I dunno, last time I looked at Hulu Plus, it took me 40 minutes of browsing to find a single movie I had even heard of before.  Their TV selection was better, but the movies seemed to be just whatever they could get without having to pay much licensing (old/indie/flops/whatever).

Re: Netflix CEO: We Fear HBO Go

Still, I doubt HBO's going to pose a threat. I think Netflix is just trying to look tough.

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

ZippyDSMleePapa Midnight: Care to take a look at this and tell me what you think about it? http://www.amazon.com/Frisby-FS-5010BT-Surround-Speakers-Bluetooth/dp/B00EYX1N2S/03/26/2015 - 10:27pm
Matthew Wilson@AE I think he means both.03/26/2015 - 9:23pm
Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am