Reddit to the Rescue: How to Block Xbox Live Ads

December 9, 2011 -

While Microsoft might not appreciate it too much, Reddit users have found a way to block the ads (which many find to be obnoxious) being served up post-Xbox Live dashboard update. People tired of seeing that Chuck Norris World of Warcraft ad (for the record I love that ad!) in the Xbox Live dashboard got together on Reddit and created two work-arounds. One involves blocking the ad server in your router - assuming that it supports it. Another method is to reroute your traffic with the free OpenDNS service.

Both methods require some small measure of advanced knowledge about changing settings on your Xbox 360 and your router. You can read up on both methods by visiting this Reddit post.

Use this knowledge at your own risk - we do not advocate either way - but we will say that consumers should have the right to do what they will with the hardware they paid for.

Source: VentureBeat

Comments

Re: Reddit to the Rescue: How to Block Xbox Live Ads

Sooooooo, what, you get empty boxes now instead of ads?

Yeah yeah, I know, it's the "principle" or something. I personally have just taken to ignoring them, much like I ignore the ads on tv and on the internet. I just assumed most people had learned to gloss over them by this point.

Re: Reddit to the Rescue: How to Block Xbox Live Ads

I don't like using OpenDNS, its too slow.

Re: Reddit to the Rescue: How to Block Xbox Live Ads

That ad is the reason I will never reactivate my World of Warcraft account. I refuse to support anything that leads to Chuck Norris being considered remotely relevant.

Re: Reddit to the Rescue: How to Block Xbox Live Ads

exactly, I refuse to support anything that results in Human Events pundits getting paid

岩「…I can see why Hasselbeck's worried about fake guns killing fake people. afterall, she's a fake journalist on a fake news channel」

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

WonderkarpFCC appears to be kicking ass today01/29/2015 - 4:11pm
Matthew WilsonThat is why I said "every market". for example totalbescuit has TWC, and the best he can get atm is 10/10.01/29/2015 - 1:58pm
Andrew EisenTWC offers speeds that high, at least in my area. (Standard is 15Mpbs)01/29/2015 - 1:54pm
Matthew Wilson@prh I still have my doubts. if anything the big winner is Comcast. they are the only isp in the us that can provide that speed in every market they serve. att, verizon, and twc cant or at least dont.01/29/2015 - 1:50pm
Andrew EisenTrailer for Ted 2 and it looks like it won't simply be a rehash of the first. That's encouraging! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3AVcCggRnU01/29/2015 - 1:49pm
prh99It's nice to see an FCC chair who isn't just there to facilitate monopoly building for cable and telecom. Basically not a dingo.01/29/2015 - 1:46pm
Wonderkarpmine was grandia 201/29/2015 - 1:39pm
Matthew Wilsonoh btw only about 5.6 percent of the us has broadband now.01/29/2015 - 1:21pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.theverge.com/2015/1/29/7932653/fcc-changed-definition-broadband-25mbps did not think the fcc would go through with it.01/29/2015 - 1:16pm
Andrew EisenI know, right? Don't you dare think the fact that I buy all your games makes this sort of behavior okay, TT Games!01/29/2015 - 12:57pm
IanCHow dare thy release games that do well both commercially and critically. How dare they. (refer to the Lego games)01/29/2015 - 12:55pm
Infophile@Wonderkarp: Tales of Innocence. Was in the final dungeon, when I accidentally left my 3DS on an airplane and couldn't get it back. Lost both the game and the system. Got a new system, but not the game (not fun enough to be worth replaying)01/29/2015 - 12:10pm
Andrew EisenOh, thank goodness. There will be at least two console LEGO games this year. For a moment I was worried there! (LEGO Jurassic World, LEGO Marvel's Avengers plus LEGO Ninjago for handheld.)01/29/2015 - 12:08pm
prh99Cminer: It's the only way to monetize Nintendo game videos. Otherwise Nintendo content IDs them and take all the AD revenue. Also it's only covers a small portion of their catalog.01/29/2015 - 12:06pm
ematuskeyWonderkarp: Pretty much every Elder Scrolls game. :p01/29/2015 - 11:53am
CMinerMaybe I missed something; is Nintendo actually going to try and force people to join their program? Or did they just create a program, and people are speculating?01/29/2015 - 10:53am