Reddit to the Rescue: How to Block Xbox Live Ads

December 9, 2011 -

While Microsoft might not appreciate it too much, Reddit users have found a way to block the ads (which many find to be obnoxious) being served up post-Xbox Live dashboard update. People tired of seeing that Chuck Norris World of Warcraft ad (for the record I love that ad!) in the Xbox Live dashboard got together on Reddit and created two work-arounds. One involves blocking the ad server in your router - assuming that it supports it. Another method is to reroute your traffic with the free OpenDNS service.

Both methods require some small measure of advanced knowledge about changing settings on your Xbox 360 and your router. You can read up on both methods by visiting this Reddit post.

Use this knowledge at your own risk - we do not advocate either way - but we will say that consumers should have the right to do what they will with the hardware they paid for.

Source: VentureBeat

Comments

Re: Reddit to the Rescue: How to Block Xbox Live Ads

Sooooooo, what, you get empty boxes now instead of ads?

Yeah yeah, I know, it's the "principle" or something. I personally have just taken to ignoring them, much like I ignore the ads on tv and on the internet. I just assumed most people had learned to gloss over them by this point.

Re: Reddit to the Rescue: How to Block Xbox Live Ads

I don't like using OpenDNS, its too slow.

Re: Reddit to the Rescue: How to Block Xbox Live Ads

That ad is the reason I will never reactivate my World of Warcraft account. I refuse to support anything that leads to Chuck Norris being considered remotely relevant.

Re: Reddit to the Rescue: How to Block Xbox Live Ads

exactly, I refuse to support anything that results in Human Events pundits getting paid

岩「…I can see why Hasselbeck's worried about fake guns killing fake people. afterall, she's a fake journalist on a fake news channel」

Poll

Will limiting Steam services to accounts that have spent at least $5 eliminate spammers?:

Andrew EisenI tinyURL'd it. The world is safe!04/24/2015 - 10:23pm
Andrew EisenWell, that is indeed crappy and nonsensical.04/24/2015 - 3:45pm
Andrew EisenFine but do you recall ANY details at all?04/24/2015 - 3:38pm
Andrew EisenI know there's not a lot of room in the Shout box but goodness you're being vague.04/24/2015 - 3:26pm
Andrew EisenGreat, but that STILL doesn't tell me what she said, why she was attacked (or what the attack was) or what "standard line" she's following. Details, man. Details!04/24/2015 - 3:25pm
Andrew EisenOr what the heck Nina White (someone else I've never heard of) is actually referring to.04/24/2015 - 3:24pm
Matthew Wilson@AE she is a game dev. she used to do stuff with hormanix and now works with https://outact.net/#!/?page_id=2 she will often engage and debate both side.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm
Andrew Eisen...following.04/24/2015 - 3:23pm