Report: IGA Worldwide Lays Off a Third of its Staff

December 12, 2011 -

The once promising in-game advertising agency IGA Worldwide continues to struggle, and has laid off nearly a third of its employees, according to a VentureBeat report.

The New York-based firm cut around seven of its 22 employees, according to two anonymous sources close to the situation. Justin Townsend, co-founder of IGA Worldwide, told VentureBeat in an email that the "one-third layoffs" figure was incorrect, but declined to comment further. In a subsequent update to the story Townsend told VentureBeat that "less than a quarter" of the employees were laid off and more details would be announced at a later date. He added that the layoffs were due to a "strategic realignment of the business" and a change in focus on "other priorities."

The company has cut its staff dramatically since 2008; back then it had 70 employees targeting various platforms including PC, Mac, Flash games, and the PlayStation 3.

Townsend founded IGA Worldwide in 2004. What IGA has figured out in the seven years that it has been in business is that most platform holders like Microsoft want to handle their own advertising efforts; Microsoft bought in-game ad company Massive to facilitate its needs, but later gutted the company, inevitably closing it in October 2010.

Source: VentureBeat