Game Rental Firm Offers to Share Used Game Profits

December 13, 2011 -

Internet game rental company OnePlayS has publicly stated that it wants to share its used game profits with publishers. The company is the brainchild of LoveFilm co-founder Lasse Jensen, which was launched in Denmark in 2008. This year the company has expanded across Europe and it wants to work closely with publishers in partnerships where everyone makes money... except maybe the developers.

"Our Revenue Share agreement gives each party – retailer and publisher – a benefit," explains founder Lasse Jensen. "OnePlayS pays the production cost of the disc, and then charges a fee for each rental. This means we buy more copies to fulfill demand faster and we’ll have used copies that won’t be rented. They will then be sold, generating additional income for both parties."

"We are focusing on ‘Rent it, Like it, Buy it’, which gives the user the option to keep the game they rented," Jensen continued. "We always share all revenue generated. The publisher will also generate revenue on the used sale, where they currently make zero. Our Revenue Share agreements are a partnership, where both parties share the success in a game."

Source: MCV

Comments

Re: Game Rental Firm Offers to Share Used Game Profits

If you share your profits, doesn't it just become a cost of doing business?

Re: Game Rental Firm Offers to Share Used Game Profits

If you pay protection money to a street gang doesn't it just become the cost of doing business.

Poll

Best decade for video games?:

Andrew EisenConster - Sure, give me a few minutes.03/26/2015 - 3:05pm
Matthew Wilsonnot shocked, lets see how gencon reacts.03/26/2015 - 11:01am
Andrew EisenAnd for those of you keeping track, Indiana's SB 101 was signed into law this morning by Gov. Pence.03/26/2015 - 10:58am
james_fudgeyeah!03/26/2015 - 9:17am