Modern Warfare 3 'Temporary Bans' Last 13.5 Years

December 14, 2011 -

If you've been banned from Modern Warfare 3 for being a jerk or cheating, you can start playing again in another 5,000 days. If you're a 13-year-old and you catch such a serious ban, you'll be 26.5 years old when you can play again. A serious ban is 5,000 days, or 13.5 years, according to MP1st. But don't worry - these bans are dubbed "temporary" by Infinity Ward. While I doubt MW3 has that kind of shelf-life, it's an interesting and mildly amusing way of presenting what is really a perma-ban.

Infinity Ward Creative Strategist Robert Bowling has confirmed the length of the bans, simply saying that "If you see this message, it means you've been Permabanned (for something bad)."

Indeed. While the counting down of days might give some players some measure of hope, it would probably better if they just sent a message saying "your account has been permanently banned."

Source: MP1s by way of The Escapist

Comments

Re: Modern Warfare 3 'Temporary Bans' Last 13.5 Years

Temp bans should last less than 10 days, normal bans 30, prema bans more than a year.....

Ah PC zero thought at play here, lets make a rule thats so assbackwards it takes care of most problems(by causing more for other people).

---

Re: Modern Warfare 3 'Temporary Bans' Last 13.5 Years

Moral of the story: Don't be a dick. Play nice, and you can keep playing.

Re: Modern Warfare 3 'Temporary Bans' Last 13.5 Years

You know, when my cousin called another kid in class a chode, he got detention and grounded for 3 days.

Moral of the story is: The punishment will never fit the crime.

Re: Modern Warfare 3 'Temporary Bans' Last 13.5 Years

Esp when, probably for PR reasons, the label of the punishment does not fit the reality.

Poll

Should ‘sexism’ factor into a video game’s rating?:

Andrew EisenPredominately figurines or swag of all kinds?11/22/2014 - 8:37pm
Andrew EisenI bet there's a lovely comedy of errors surrounding that list's journey to the IGDA's page!11/22/2014 - 6:49pm
Andrew EisenAnd the fact that it was curated by some random person on Twitter should have been another.11/22/2014 - 6:48pm
Andrew EisenYep, it's pretty clear that whoever at the IGDA grabbed that list, didn't look at it first. I think the fact that there's over 10,000 names on it should have been a bit of a red flag.11/22/2014 - 6:44pm
Wonderkarppenguin books is on the list. wow.11/22/2014 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpthats better, though I'd prefer something a little more than a simple tweet, I'll take it.11/22/2014 - 6:37pm
Andrew EisenKate Edwards' Twitter: "like people, tools are imperfect; we've removed it for now."11/22/2014 - 6:35pm
Andrew EisenHard to say with any certainty but it appears it at least understands the tool didn't do what it thought it did.11/22/2014 - 6:34pm
WonderkarpI've yet to find the IGDA responding too the situation other than deleting a link.11/22/2014 - 6:34pm
Matthew WilsonI hope the IGDA understands why its a mistake, that's all I want.11/22/2014 - 6:33pm
Andrew EisenHeh, lawyering up would be grossly overracting! And really silly. Well, if what the IGDA did say was not enough for you, try contacting them and letting them know how you feel.11/22/2014 - 6:31pm
Wonderkarpall I want is an apology from the IGDA. nothing fancy, not even addressed to me. Just something that says, "We messed up. We're Sorry" thats it. Not exactly those words except Sorry. If I was overreacting, I'd be lawyering up.11/22/2014 - 6:29pm
Andrew EisenI get it, I just think you're taking it the wrong way and overreacting.11/22/2014 - 6:27pm
Wonderkarpatleast Matthew understands why I am miffed at that list11/22/2014 - 6:26pm