Why SOPA is a Futile Effort for Lawmakers, Special Interest Groups

December 21, 2011 -

A software developer who goes by the nickname of "T Rizk," who thinks Congress will make the wrong decision on the SOPA anti-piracy bill, has decided to create a work-around before the bill ever becomes law. That work-around is a Firefox plug-in that he has named "DeSOPA." It basically unblocks sites like The Pirate Bay by reverting the blocked site back to its raw IP address.

"I feel that the general public is not aware of the gravity of SOPA and Congress seems like they are about to cater to the special interests involved, to the detriment of Internet, for which I and many others live and breathe," T Rizk told TorrentFreak.

TorrentFreak also points to another developer who has created "The Pirate Bay Dancing." The add-on redirects blocked sites to their new domains. The add-on has been around for awhile and isn't going anywhere - despite the fact that ICE asked Mozilla to remove it. They declined that request.

If SOPA and Protect IP pass you can bet that the Internet will create more work-arounds like this.

Source: SlashDot by way of Uncharted NES

Comments

Re: Why SOPA is a Futile Effort for Lawmakers, Special ...

That will only fix part of the problem unfortunately. You can't exactly bring back sites that had to go down entirely or the MASSIVE amount of content that will be stripped from sites like youtube. The Mafiaa has been known to abuse what powers they currently have so this will only make things MUCH MUCH worse.

Re: Why SOPA is a Futile Effort for Lawmakers, Special ...

Also try the addon mafiaafire.

Andrew EisenI played it one the Wii and rather liked it.11/22/2014 - 11:15pm