Report: GoDaddy Calls Former Customers Who Left Because of SOPA

December 27, 2011 -

I know we've written quite a bit about GoDaddy and SOPA today, but this short TechDirt post shows that the hosting company is really reaching out to customers who have left the fold because of SOPA. According to former GoDaddy customer Chris Heald, some of those individuals who have transferred domains to other providers are now receiving phone calls from GoDaddy customer service asking them why they left and trying to win them back. Chris Heald describes such a phone call:

"I just got a call from #GoDaddy. The rep said he noticed that I'd transferred my 60+ domains away... and wanted to know if I'd tell them why. I got to tell them that it was because of their #SOPA support, and that I couldn't in good conscience give my money to a tech company that would support legislation like that. I told him I was aware that they had reversed their position, but that their explicit support of it in the first place had cost them my confidence in them, as it is at the best viciously ignorant, and at worst, malicious. The rep was quite sincere in his apology to me, asked if there was anything they could do to win me back. He had a "We support IP protections, and now realize that support of SOPA is too broad" song-and-dance routine that probably came in from a PR memo today. I told him "no thanks", and that was that. I'm impressed by the customer service hustle, but it shows that this little incident really spooked them."

While some lawmakers may scoff at Internet activism and try to ignore its power, they should take note of what can happen when enough people get riled up just enough to do something. GoDaddy can now provide a testimonial on that fact.

Source: TechDirt

Comments

Re: Report: GoDaddy Calls Former Customers Who Left Because ...

There'; a phrase for this.

Too Little, Too Late

Re: Report: GoDaddy Calls Former Customers Who Left Because ...

Which is why when I canceled my hosting with them I then contacted them and told them to put me on their Do Not Call list. And if they try and call me like this, I will report them.

ZippyDSMleeShout box sttasahhppppp!!05/22/2015 - 10:47am