Analyst: Apple Should Charge $10 Per Android Unit

December 29, 2011 -

According to this TechieBuzz report, analysts are telling Apple that they should collect up to $10 per device in royalties from companies that are using technology that they hold patents for. Kevin Rivette, managing partner at intellectual property firm 3LP Advisors LLC, said in an interview with Bloomberg that Apple could probably collect up to $10 in royalties for every Android device sold and that would be twice what Microsoft is believed to receive for each HTC Android device sold.

"A scorched-earth strategy is bad news because it doesn’t optimize the value of their patents -- because people will get around them," said Rivette, whose clients include Android licensees. "It’s like a dam. Using their patents to keep rivals out of the market is like putting rocks in a stream. The stream is going to find a way around. Wouldn’t it be better to direct where the water goes?"

Of course, Apple doesn't tend to listen to analysts anyways, but it's an interesting idea.

Source: Bloomberg

Comments

Re: Analyst: Apple Should Charge $10 Per Android Unit

By that logic they should also be collecting from Nintendo since apple seems to claim they invented the freakin touchscreen.

Re: Analyst: Apple Should Charge $10 Per Android Unit

Please.  I'll give credit where it's due: Apple did finally manage to market smartphones and tablets successfully to the consumer, but they neither came up with the original concept nor were the first to market with such devices.

Re: Analyst: Apple Should Charge $10 Per Android Unit

I would happily pay $20 (10 for each of my android devices) for Apple to piss off and quit it with these bullshit patent suits.

Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm