More Ocean Marketing Antics

December 30, 2011 -

I will be the first to say that I don't want to write another story about Ocean Marketing’s sole employee Paul Christoforo, but recent events warrant that we will write one last story on this guy who has spent the last 48 hours being punished for some pretty reprehensive behavior. The latest chapter in this internet drama relates to Christoforo holding the e-mail and social media accounts for the N-Control game controller hostage, demanding extra compensation, and a contract - the details of which are pretty vague.

This is according to Moisés Chiullan, who took over the public relations for the company after Christoforo was ousted. Chiullan discussed the situation in a Reddit "Ask Me Anything" discussion. After revealing Christoforo's bad behavior in that thread, Christoforo decided to cooperate with the company.

Chiullan writes on Reddit:

I’ve been trying to get him to give up the access to these things he’s been holding hostage (email accounts, Twitter, etc) by asking nicely for a couple of days. The gloves are off now.

Paul told me on the phone two hours ago that "Eight months ago, I locked down all this stuff so they wouldn’t be able to fuck with me. If they don’t give me what I want, it’s war." His demands include a contract written on his terms and substantial compensation, both immediate and for as long as the company continues to exist. He flaunted the PR debacle he created as proof that he "made the company a success," citing all the media and public attention as the "best thing that ever happened to Avenger."

He didn’t count on the fact that I anticipated all of this and have been a computer hardware and web tech since I was 14.

A few hours after the AMA, Chiullan tweeted on the Avenger Controller Twitter account: "Happy to report that Mr. Christoforo has abruptly become very forthcoming regarding digital assets that he was previously withholding."

While the drama is minor, it shows that Christoforo may not have learned his lesson yet.

Source: VentureBeat

Posted in

Comments

Re: More Ocean Marketing Antics

It's a shame really, this story had sort of come full circle to the point where people were beginning to sympathize with the guy, and then he does this.

lol what a douche

Re: More Ocean Marketing Antics

He reminds me of Stanley Woo

Re: More Ocean Marketing Antics

So basically the guy stirred up a shitstorm for the company, and is now holding information hostage unless he gets what he wants. Fucking baby, he's pulling a JT. I see a lawsuit coming.

Re: More Ocean Marketing Antics

No, he ‚Äčtried‚Äč to hold the accounts hostage, but stupidly forgot that any administrator worth his or her salt will have a backdoor to access these things.

Re: More Ocean Marketing Antics

Still, even trying ot do so to get his way makes him a king douche.

Poll

Which group is more ethically challenged?:

InfophileI know the ZE series was in the red in Japan, but international series boosted it to profitability. That may not mean it's more profitable in the west, but it does mean ZE3 wouldn't exist without the western market.07/04/2015 - 7:54am
Consterwhy aren't "Video game players" an option on the poll? :P07/04/2015 - 5:19am
Andrew EisenThat was quick! Pretty accurate cosplay of the new Ghostbuster uniform and proton pack: https://twitter.com/mirabellemusing/status/61673135125394227207/03/2015 - 6:23pm
Matthew Wilson@mast I dont know, but I do know it got a cult fallowing here.07/03/2015 - 6:22pm
MastermuneWasn't the Zero Escape series more popular here than in Japan?07/03/2015 - 6:19pm
Matthew Wilson@mast given the game was revealed in the US, I wouldnt be shocked if it was released at the same time.07/03/2015 - 6:15pm
MastermuneI don't trust the big AAA worldwide simultaneous releases though.07/03/2015 - 5:57pm
Mastermune@Infophile I have come to the conclusion that smaller games like zero escape, JRPG's and the like are actually worth preordering sinc they are limited quantities and since they usually release in japan first we know if there are any issues.07/03/2015 - 5:56pm
Infophile@Matthew! Awesome news. I'd preorder on that shout alone if I didn't have a policy against preordering anymore.07/03/2015 - 5:16pm
Matthew Wilsonzero escape 3 was announced today.07/03/2015 - 4:21pm
Matthew Wilson@pnx I am guessing a ddoss since that is what happened to neogaf, but sony needs to do a investment in psn as a whole. steam is still the most reliable and fastest digital platform I use.07/03/2015 - 3:06pm
PHX Corphttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/psn-is-down-sony-investigating/ not again: PSN is down, Sony investigating07/03/2015 - 3:04pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.vg247.com/2015/07/03/digital-extremes-trespasser-keystone-pc/ if true, this is funny and embarrassing for Digital Extremes. companies need too have better security.07/03/2015 - 2:57pm
Matthew Wilsonhttp://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-destiny-the-hardcore-gamers-slot-machine/2300-6425852/ this is very good, and well researched.07/03/2015 - 12:41pm
InfophileOther features to become standard: The ability to remap controls however the hell I want. Quicksave at any time (especially for handheld and mobile games). Plus everything Andrew said07/03/2015 - 10:43am
InfophileRegion-freeing becomes tricky for games with a strong online component though, especially when the servers are run by different branches in different regions.07/03/2015 - 10:41am
InfophileI'm in favor of getting rid of region-locking for any purchased games. I can understand an exception for free, ad-supported games, as many ads are only relevant in certain regions, and it's a ridiculous hassle to get ads for all regions.07/03/2015 - 10:40am
PHX Corphttp://kotaku.com/payday-2-has-been-broken-on-xbox-one-for-three-weeks-1715384186 Payday 2 Has Been Broken On Xbox One For Three Weeks07/03/2015 - 8:44am
Matthew Wilsonhttps://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/3bxduw/why_was_riama_along_with_a_number_of_other_large/ here is a more complete acount of whats going on.07/03/2015 - 1:32am
Matthew Wilsonredit is on fire right now. most subreddits have been set to private.07/03/2015 - 1:24am